The whole posted / unposted land thing in ND should die (includes Poll)

Should permission be required on all private land in ND?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may be coming from my first 20 years spent in SD, where you need to get permission for private land regardless of posting, but I think ND should go to that as well.

Yes, the idea of being able to hunt a bunch of private land without tracking down the land owner sounds good, but those ‘good old days’ are largely over anyway.
We’ve all seen the signs of the ‘posted’ problem. They’re right here among various posts on this very site.
-- More and more land is being posted. Mostly in response to asshat-ery on the land.
-- Tales of people not respecting the postedness of the land.
-- Excuses like “the signs weren’t spaced close enough”, “didn’t have a signature”, pick your retarded excuse for hunting a piece of land that you know you shouldn’t.
-- Tales of someone stealing someone else’s “spot” or “deer” on unposted land.

Now certainly this wouldn't completely cure all duchebaggery and asshatery, but it would make a number of scenarios more black and white.

When you contact the land owner to get permission and build a relationship, there are a number of advantages:
-- You know who else has permission and when they may be out there.
-- The proper boundaries so you don’t end up on GrumpyRancherX’s land.
-- You find out about other pieces of land the same landowner has
-- You may get the names of other land owners (new leads)

Thoughts?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or, you could lead by example and follow the rules, then hope the idiots who are ruining it for everyone else get the comeupins.

I like the laws the way they are. I've actually stumbled across less posted land this year than last year, for whatever reason. Maybe fewer deer tags so less reason to post?? I dunno, but it's making for easier bird hunting!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could go either way, I like to hunt land with the land owner. I have been fortunate to have a few buddies that own some land. If I didn't have this, I would sure want unposted land to be huntable.
A ton of jerks around here that are gonna hunt land posted or not.
I know the guys who's land I hunt post most of it, but let anyone who asks hunt it for the most part.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you'll get resistance from landowners that go south for the winter. And you would have to clear contact information available for every piece of land. Oh and I might mention you will put another dagger in the heart of bringing new outdoorsmen on board. bravo.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
you'll get resistance from landowners that go south for the winter. And you would have to clear contact information available for every piece of land. Oh and I might mention you will put another dagger in the heart of bringing new outdoorsmen on board. bravo.

It doesn't seem to be a problem in other states.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would also think that if this ever looks like a possibility you will have a ballot measure ensuring this doesn't happen.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
The resource doesn't belong to the landowner it belongs to everyone. I don't think it's too much to ask to put up signs if you don't want people pursuing their resource on your land. I hunt a combination of public, posted private, and un-posted private and simply follow the rules wherever I'm at. People that don't do that are not going to change their ways if the law changes. There's nothing wrong with building relationships with landowners and there are advantages as mentioned but there's nothing wrong with a guy that just wants to leave his land open to public hunting and not have to deal with people driving into his yard in the dark to ask permission to hunt either. This is definitely a situation where if it isn't broke don't fix it and I don't think anything is broken.

- - - Updated - - -

There's plenty of things that aren't problems in other states and work just fine but that doesn't mean they're right for this state.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having lived in ND my whole life until a year ago, I'd take ND rules over SD no questions asked. Even if a lot more land is getting posted in ND, at least you generally have a contact name, number or address to try and get permission. In SD unless you spend a ton of money on Plat books (if the county has one), it's a complete crap shoot trying to find the actual owner of the land. I miss hunting in ND a lot, other than not getting tags for years. Just my thoughts after having now lived and hunted in both states.

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't post my land for a reason. I do not want the constant phone calls and people stopping all the time. Leave it the way it is

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

spend a lot of time hunting in other states do you?

maybe out west where public land abounds.

what about us easterners?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't post my land for a reason. I do not want the constant phone calls and people stopping all the time. Leave it the way it is

yeah Ghost - think about the landowners for a change why don't ya

;:;rofl

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

This cpete00 fellow makes sense and I bet it is the reason many landowners don't post. Except if some asshat raped and pillaged the land I think I would not post either. I wonder if ....to add more fuel to this fire and add more reg's:), a better POSTING system would work.

ie..Not posted..- have at it boys
NO TRESPASSING-- Stay the f*** out( Blaze green sign for example)
No Trespassing without written permission- ASK(blaze orange sign for example).
Noooooooooooo....I am not a sign maker..hahaha...just think there has got to be an easier way without upsetting the apple cart and writing more rules and laws creating a bigger brother...ahhhhhh..to heck with this post.. forget this post..carry on.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
spend a lot of time hunting in other states do you?

maybe out west where public land abounds.

what about us easterners?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah Ghost - think about the landowners for a change why don't ya

;:;rofl

A fair amount, yes. I don't like the way things are trending now. The rift between hunters and landowners grows each year. Changing the law may result in a cultural change as well. Remember my waterfowl research I told you about? This kind of ties into it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't that be nice 3roosters?

Maybe free signs that landowners can post with. They order them off the interweb.

Each sign had a scan code symbol thingy. Scan it with the smartphone and get the low-down on the property owners wishes, exceptions, etc.

Examples:
This land is open to hunting:
coyotes, skunks, and fox only

This land is open to:
hiking only - absolutely no firearms

This land is open to:
All legal hunting.

This alnd open to hunting after Dec 1.

etc.

Landowner can also choose whether scan code results in contact being given out.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't that be nice 3roosters?

Maybe free signs that landowners can post with. They order them off the interweb.

Each sign had a scan code symbol thingy. Scan it with the smartphone and get the low-down on the property owners wishes, exceptions, etc.

Examples:
This land is open to hunting:
coyotes, skunks, and fox only

This land is open to:
hiking only - absolutely no firearms

This land is open to:
All legal hunting.

This alnd open to hunting after Dec 1.

etc.

Landowner can also choose whether scan code results in contact being given out.

i like this idea a lot. The g&f takes 3 months to run a lottery for a deer license tho, so i wont hold my breath on them taking advantage of technology.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this has been said before, but even a "hybrid" system of block management would be great. Similar to Montana but could be tweeked to fit the needs/geography/game of our state. Hunters are held responsible when they sign in, and landowner knows who and how many are on their land. I thoroughly enjoyed hunting block management in MT last year, chatted with the landowner a couple times during the week we were there, helped him separate cows for an hour or so. He told where hes seen bucks. Virtually none of that wouldve happened had we not known he was open to hunters in the first place.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
This cpete00 fellow makes sense and I bet it is the reason many landowners don't post. Except if some asshat raped and pillaged the land I think I would not post either. I wonder if ....to add more fuel to this fire and add more reg's:), a better POSTING system would work.

ie..Not posted..- have at it boys
NO TRESPASSING-- Stay the f*** out( Blaze green sign for example)
No Trespassing without written permission- ASK(blaze orange sign for example).
Noooooooooooo....I am not a sign maker..hahaha...just think there has got to be an easier way without upsetting the apple cart and writing more rules and laws creating a bigger brother...ahhhhhh..to heck with this post.. forget this post..carry on.

This. From a non-hunter (used to hunt pheasants once in a while), I have thought this as well. I would love seeing 2 different signs indicating "I hate you" versus "I just want to know who's on my land". I think that would help a lot. I might even start hunting again. I made the mistake of assuming the no hunting sign meant B when in fact it meant A, as I put my tail between my legs and ran away.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe in SD you're allowed to hunt ditches and section lines no? So, if landowners in ND never ever had the value of not having to post their land and the people of the state have had the value of being able to hunt unposted land, then to me there needs to be some compensation involved. So, if landowners want to not have to post their land, then they should provide some kind of compensation to those who've benefited from that. And, the only way I see landowners getting that through is if they provide some kind of carrot to the public such as open ditches and section lines. Fair is fair. There's nothing free at Disney!

And when it comes to SD rules that way, I think I'd prefer to keep things the way they are now. I don't own a bunch of land, but over the years have been given the privilege to post land from various farmers/landowners for my hunting pleasure. And I'd rather go post those spots and not have people shooting stuff in the ditches and section lines than not having to post but deal with that.

Everything has a value. So, if one wants something of value that they currently don't have, they need to put something on the table to pay for it. It's not a conservative vs liberal thing or R vs D thing. It's just capitalism at work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69