Gloves: the search continues

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, as it's been stated, my hands and feet have the endothermic properties of an ice cube. I usually wear some gks gloves that I've had for five years. They work pretty well but don't fit the bill when it gets below zero. My wife destroyed them and I still don't understand her thought process. stainless steel table, steel wool, 80 degrees out, she thought I didn't use these gloves anymore, pile of leather. :mad:. So, I thought maybe I'll switching things up a bit this year. Maybe a thin, merino wool liner glove and some mittens.

and go...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
And are these gloves for ice fishing, or do you need them tonight?

Oh, and don't get mad at her. This is a perfect opportunity for a bit of guilt-trip shopping.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're active @ those temps, Gortex or windstopper and Primaloft. Plan on replacing every couple years as the Primoloft loses it's loft. If you're inactive, mittens/glommets AND chem handwarmers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have good circulation (knock on wood) - but when it starts to hurt I like Hotfingers brand. Have had three pairs of crap-is-it-cold gloves over the last 35 years. That's right - when crap gets too cold I have relied on exactly three pairs of gloves to keep me warm and they were all various models of Hotfingers.

They all cost a stupid lot BACK THEN. Now I browse and all the nice gloves cost a lot... but most suck.

Fit is key - it has to be perfect or they'll suck even if Hotfingers.

When I am wearing my lighter "high dexterity" gloves for action tasks I bring like 2 or 3 pair and swap out to dry ones if they get too wet (since they are cheap you can buy a bunch and they get holes in them, etc.)

I usually have like 4 pair of gloves with ice fishing (in a backpack or duffle with other odds/ends) - I really like to swap out to gloves that make sense for the moment.

I would really really really like to try on some of the Arcteryx gloves - man they make nice stuff.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have deer skin mittens that keep hands warm as can be, they were free from the west fargo deer hide trade in guy. Turn in a hide, get some gloves, he was on south sheyenne st

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
hands.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a freshman in high school, this was the only thing that kept my hands warm while mingling about the sidelines for a couple hours.

- - - Updated - - -

And are these gloves for ice fishing, or do you need them tonight?

Oh, and don't get mad at her. This is a perfect opportunity for a bit of guilt-trip shopping.

And in perfect woman logic, she was upset at the thought that I'd buy another pair....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have gone light first light gloves cover by mittens. It is amazing how the merino dries and is.Even.warm when wet. The caveat to that is my hands don't get cold very easy so they might not work.as.good.as.I think to.some one.who.gets cold.easy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda what my thoughts were as well Kurt. Most gloves get beat up by me since I'll grab fish with them. If I'm rolling with two layers on, I know the day will come when I slip off the mitten and grab a fish with the expensive first light glove. I have their base layer stuff. If pay double for it if I had to.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I throw mine under ice armor mits and I have never ever felt a bit of cold. Cumbersome they are but worth the hassle in my eyes.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
merino glove liners might just be the ticket for me too

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-gloves/ultra-merino-210-glove/81006.html?dwvar_81006_color=ViasCamo

these sort of intrigue me

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fit is key - it has to be perfect or they'll suck even if Hotfingers.

This, same with boots. You want to keep your extremities warm in cold weather you have to keep your core temp up (physical activity, insulation vest layer, hat, etc.) and not impede circulation. That's why fit is one of the most important parts.

You could go by some 2500 gram insulated boots, and if they don't fit right and you lace them up as tight as they go your feet are going to freeze. Or you go buy some lose fitting mukluks with half the insulation and your feet will be toasty.

Same thing with gloves and mittens. Don't pay high $$$ unless you can try them on first.

I am not a fan of wearing gloves or mittens anytime I need to hold a box, pull a trigger, feel a bite, retie a lure, etc. So every late season stand sit and ice fishing trip I open up two hand warmers. Because I know their will be times my hands get wet, cold, freezing and I will need the external heat to warm them back up.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
This, same with boots. You want to keep your extremities warm in cold weather you have to keep your core temp up (physical activity, insulation vest layer, hat, etc.) and not impede circulation. That's why fit is one of the most important parts.

You could go by some 2500 gram insulated boots, and if they don't fit right and you lace them up as tight as they go your feet are going to freeze. Or you go buy some lose fitting mukluks with half the insulation and your feet will be toasty.

Same thing with gloves and mittens. Don't pay high $$$ unless you can try them on first.

I am not a fan of wearing gloves or mittens anytime I need to hold a box, pull a trigger, feel a bite, retie a lure, etc. So every late season stand sit and ice fishing trip I open up two hand warmers. Because I know their will be times my hands get wet, cold, freezing and I will need the external heat to warm them back up.

ThisThumbs Up. I ALWAYS have a couple of hand warmers in my mitts/gloves while ice fishing. After rigging or rerigging my line or unhooking a lunker, I grab a hold of those warmers for instant heat. It has been the only thing that works for me to keep my hands warm or to rewarm my cold fingers.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do pretty the same thing Kurtr does. I bought a bunch pairs of justin Charles merino wool gloves when scheels decided to get out of that brand and was almost giving them away. Then I used ice armor mittens over the top. I'm like you dirtymike, I get cold fingers and toes quickly and this has been the best thing I have found. Plus, I use lighter triggers than most, so when it comes time to get to it, I slip a mitten off and give er hell.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I use while still hunting btw.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rock climbers and such tape hand warmers (or sew pockets into wrist warmers or fingerless gloves) so that the warmers heat up those big veins on the back of your hand. The claim is (and it sounds logical) that the blood warms while flowing past that region - thus delivering warm blood to the fingers/palm.

I'm sure some of you have relatives, moms, grannies who knit or crochet - get cracking and report back to us. :D

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thin windstoppers that fit just right. If it's too cold for that, I throw the deer skin mitten over them. Easy to get the mittens off if I'm hunting; but the windstoppers are really great for walking for deer/pheasants. Throw the mittens on if you're doing a sit/sneak. If I'm ice fishing I usually stick heat packs in my pocket and switch hands while I'm jigging.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For out and about I really like Manzella soft-shell windproof offerings. I've had a couple, the last bunch I bought were "Forester ST". FWIW, Sportsman's Loft had a ton of these on closeout about a month ago for ~$12/ea.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75