Venison bacon?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over on the other site, there was once a recipe for venison bacon. I think it was Mossy Mo's? In any case, it's not there anymore. I shot a decent muley buck yesterday that was quite rutted up and I think he needs to be ground up to get the most quality eats out of him. Anyone have the recipe? Paging Dr. Mo. Paging Dr. Mo.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you asked nicely.
deer 2.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://curleyssausagekitchen.com/Venison-Bacon-25.html

Boom!!! Gimme some rep bitches.... :;:thumbsup

[h=1]Recipe: How To Make Venison Bacon[/h]
by David Draper

A few weeks ago I spent a day job shadowing a meat cutter at Peppers and More Smokehouse, a local custom meat processing (and more) shop in Paxton, Neb. Ron Jay, owner, butcher, handyman and jack-of-all-trades, processes more than 200 deer during the Nebraska seasons, much of which end up as deer bacon.
I’m currently in love with this bacon, which is made from the roasts cut from the hindquarters. And I don’t mean a flowers-and-feeling kind of love. I mean the kind of love that goes on behind locked doors. In fact, you should probably establish some kind of “safe word” before you try this wonderful new way to enjoy venison.
When I asked Ron for the recipe, he told me he’d be glad to make it for me, but I watched Ron’s meat cutter Gary make a batch and this is the recipe I came up with.
Venison Bacon

Ingredients:

- 2 lbs. Insta-Cure
- 1/2 lb. brown sugar
- 2 1/2 gallons water
- Three venison roasts cut from one deer hindquarter (bottom round, rump, and sirloin tip)
Directions:
- Mix dry ingredients and water well.
- Using high-volume syringe, inject cure marinade into meat at multiple points until all the blood is pushed out.
- Seal injected meat in vacuum tumbler for 1 to 3 hours (or marinate in fridge for 2 to 3 days). Rub with lemon pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and meat tenderizer.
- Smoke until internal temperature reads 130 degrees.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick.
- Fry and serve. Great with a traditional breakfast, in a BLT, or anywhere you want the sweet, smoky flavor of bacon.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a recipe but used the seasoning package that mossymo sells at www.owensbbq.com for the ground bacon that turned out really good. Mixed 50% deer 50%pork butt and the seasoning package comes with instructions on how to smoke it

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Lycan. But I am pretty sure the one I remember was for ground meat.

Thanks ItemB. That is probably exactly what I was looking for.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im pretty sure if you would followed the first link I posted, this is what you were looking for....

Curley’s Sausage Kitchen
708 Collins Rd.
Fairbank, IA 50629
www.curleyssausagekitchen.com
curley@curleyssausagekitchen.com
319-635-2236
Venison Bacon Recipe – 25# Batch
(13# Venison 12# Pork) or (15# Venison 10# Pork) or (12 ½# Venison 12 ½# Pork)
1 bag Venison Bacon Unit - .84#
1 oz. Sure Cure. -.06#
4 cups cold water
Procedure:
*Grind venison and pork once through 1/8th plate.
*Place in mixing pan or meat mixer.
*Add seasoning water and cue and mix for 10 minutes. Meat will turn a dark cured color and get real tacky (sticky) Mixing of meat
is very important.
*Lay mixture in a shallow pan with a piece of plastic in it. This helps the meat not to stick to pan when it is cured. Form into a 2 in.
thick loaf. Use hands to push down on meat to make a firm texture. Cover with plastic and put in refrigerator overnight.
Smoking:
*Carefully turn pan upside down on smokehouse screens so meat falls out of pan.
*Set smokehouse temp at 130-140 degrees for 1 to 2 hours or until dry - damper open.
*Set smokehouse temp to 150-160 degrees - damper 1/2 open - smoke 2-3 hours or until desired color.
*Set smokehouse temp 170-180 degrees - no smoke - damper closed until internal temp is 150 degrees.
*Also see steam cooking, this cuts cook time in half.
*Refrigerate overnight. Slice, package and freeze.
**5 lb. Batch--.17 lbs. seasoning, sure cure - one level teaspoon (the pink stuff) and 3/4 cup water.
**Seasoning Storage: To keep seasonings fresh and prevent caking, store in refrigerator or freezer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am making whitetail ribs tonight most likely (or tomorrow).

Will post about them "all excited like" if they end up worth the effort. :;:smokin

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curlys is what we used to use which was very good, till we come out with our own Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member

Will post about them "all excited like" if they end up worth the effort. :;:smokin

Same here....

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't turned it all into burger, the rounds are easy to make into corned venison and then into pastrami.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
smoker.jpgpacked.jpgcooker.jpg

Here's the last batch I did in January with Owen's BBQ seasoning. Added a little Tony Cachero's to some, Tatonka Dust to some, Maple syrup to some, ect.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

the ribs were great. I rubbed them with homemade Memphis rub, let them sit for 4 hours, then pressure cooked at 15 lb for 30 minutes.

glazed them and stuck them under the broiler until they crackled/sang a bit. I will be eating the ribs of all my future deer.

galwhofishes wants me to pressure for 40 minutes next time - she does not tolerate even the slightest chewiness and there was a tad of chewiness on the thicker gristlier sections. pressure cooking helps assure they are perfectly moist though.

you can tell how the meat has shrunk and started to pull away from the bone that they are nearly falling of the bone - to the perfect degree IMO cuz you can still pick them up - I'm afraid 40 minutes will let them fall apart.

2015-11-16 18.02.26.jpg

2015-11-16 18.10.18.jpg
home grown parsnips (with honey/curry glaze) and some old school spuds made for a really great old school meal

9/10 points... wish johnr had been there to sample :)

- - - Updated - - -

are you guys jealous of my 1970s countertop?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been able to eat deer ribs for many years after that tallow incident. Maybe next year I will try the pressure cooker if they are that good....or I still have a archery tag. Maybe I'll shoot a nice fat doe over Christmas.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been able to eat deer ribs for many years after that tallow incident. Maybe next year I will try the pressure cooker if they are that good....or I still have a archery tag. Maybe I'll shoot a nice fat doe over Christmas.

tallow incident? I trimmed 95% of the fat off my ribs before rubdown if that's what you're saying?

if you do pressure cook vension ribs, you must also try the neck in a pressure cooker. Cook it the same way - rub it down with fav rub, let the rub penetrate a day, then pressure cook at 15lb for 45-60 minutes

necks have so much great flavor and awesome texture, like brisket or gigantic meaty ribs

eat like ribs and dip in BBQ sauce, or "pull" the meat to make soft tacos/fajitas or incorporate into a Guinness stew, etc.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa did not do any trimming me thinks.

oh my... that would be really really bad since venison fat is (sadly) a disgusting fat - unlike the glorious pig

I trimmed (not nazi extent but pretty good).

I also pressure cooked them standing up on edge and on a trivet up out of the water - so any fat would drip down/away

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62