Canned Pheasant

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was able to convince some folks in Fargo to save the leg/thighs for me that they typically throw away. They have family out west so they get to pound quite a few each year. I have been gifted a couple gallons of goodness - some of which I will smoke but I want to can some too.

Any tips from pheasant canners out there? I already brined them all last night in a mild version of pasmoker's brine (with 1/2 cup sugar mod)... so basic seasoning is done. I'm planning on doing the "raw" canning approach.

Thanks in advance for any tips such as length of time at 15 lbs, amendments, etc.

p.s. for some reason pheasant makes my butt pucker because it's so famous for botulism :eek:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was able to convince some folks in Fargo to save the leg/thighs for me that they typically throw away. They have family out west so they get to pound quite a few each year. I have been gifted a couple gallons of goodness - some of which I will smoke but I want to can some too.

Any tips from pheasant canners out there? I already brined them all last night in a mild version of pasmoker's brine (with 1/2 cup sugar mod)... so basic seasoning is done. I'm planning on doing the "raw" canning approach.

Thanks in advance for any tips such as length of time at 15 lbs, amendments, etc.

p.s. for some reason pheasant makes my butt pucker because it's so famous for botulism :eek:

I would process pints at 75 minutes and quarts at 90 minutes. If you're canning with bone-in the processing times are actually a little bit shorter, 65 and 75 minutes, respectively.

If you're doing raw pack, do not add liquid to the jars.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your plans for the canned pheasant? Trying to answer the "why" of this scenario.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your plans for the canned pheasant? Trying to answer the "why" of this scenario.

canned food is easily stored, never ruined during power outage, never freezer burns, always tender, the "bones" yield amazing flavor in the broth, you can grab it off the shelf last minute (no wait for thawing), canned goods are way easier to survey your choices on the shelf, yadda

unless you have "time" on your side, frozen pheasant thighs are gonna SUCK due to tendons/toughness - with canned it's already cooked - and cooked "perfectly" is a highlight

scenario: grab some canned thighs off shelf and convert to pheasant noodle soup... or creamy mushroom pheasant over rice in 30 minutes or less.

I HATE finding frozen packets of goodness freezer-burned :mad:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok. That sounds reasonable. I will still probably vacuum pack everything but I get it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a big fan of vacuum packaging too! I'm starting to mix things up - try to find "go to" methods, tired of the freezer shuffle to find stuff

also - giving away canned prizes to friends/family is easy because no coolers are involved - IF those people don't want to hurl at the very thought of meat in a jar - which is common (ask johnr)

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've canned fish, just never any mammal or fowl. But now that you got me thinking about it, the idea intrigues me. Pheasant hunting is my least favorite hunt though so I don't shoot a lot of them. Will probably bag another 6 next weekend though when the father in law is in town.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
canned food is easily stored, never ruined during power outage, never freezer burns, always tender, the "bones" yield amazing flavor in the broth, you can grab it off the shelf last minute (no wait for thawing), canned goods are way easier to survey your choices on the shelf, yadda

unless you have "time" on your side, frozen pheasant thighs are gonna SUCK due to tendons/toughness - with canned it's already cooked - and cooked "perfectly" is a highlight

scenario: grab some canned thighs off shelf and convert to pheasant noodle soup... or creamy mushroom pheasant over rice in 30 minutes or less.

I HATE finding frozen packets of goodness freezer-burned :mad:

Agreed! I would rather have the canned over freezer burn 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Nice to have a quick meal or take stuff with on long trips- chili, stew, soup in pint jars, heat at the filling station microwave. Spent enough time being cash poor to become pretty cheap, and the food is way better!

If you follow an established recipe for canning chicken you will be fine; not so much the ingredient's fault for botulism as the sketchy canning methods of many. Musky's times look good. Last I checked USDA increased time/pressure starting at 1200 a.s.l. Just about any university extension service should be able to give you the latest n greatest.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
canned a bunch of pheasant at 65 minutes at 15 lb pressure

ate our first batch

deboned the meat off a pint jar (two leg/thighs)

browned a small amount of roux with butter/flour (1/2 tbls each) in a pan

transferred the pheasant gelatin/liquid into the pan slowly - while stirring - makes for an instant gravy

stirred in fresh lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, a little white wine, and a couple capers

added chunked meat and let it simmer on low for ~10m

poured it over medium egg noodles - with bacon brussel sprouts deglazed with balsamic

it was amazing

I will cut either the brine time or the brine strength by maybe 50% next time - just a smidgen too salty when you use the jar's juice to make gravy (we are very salt intolerant at our house - not for health - just don't like it)

if making soup the salt level is perfect

2015-11-19 18.02.18.jpg

Attachments

2015-11-19 18.02.31.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the concentrated pheasant umami is hard to describe - so packed full of what makes fowl taste good!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74