Why don't they wear orange?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why don't many hunters on tv not wear orange when hunting big game? Is it not required in all states?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe "hunter orange" is out of style....

colors.JPG

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly think most tv hosts have no f'n clue about the laws where they hunt. I can't even count how many times I've watched a big-game show where the guy is dressed out in full high-end camo gear, and has one of those wimpy, crossing-guard vests on that looks like it's constructed of single-ply blaze-orange buttwipe.

"Ah shoot, you mean I need blaze? But what about my Kui/Sitka/Realtree/Mossyoak sponsorship garb?? Eff it, someone quick run down to the gas station and grab a cheap vest off the rack. And one of those crappy cotton stocking caps that look like the reservoir tip of a condom."

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not required in every state. ND requires a total of 400 square inches. Must have a cap and vest or coat. Some states require one or the other and not much of it. ND law says it must be solid orange not camo orange as is legal in some states.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get why guys wear it in the pickup all day, in restaurants, gas stations and everywhere else. You can spot NR pheasant hunters easily I guess, hell they wear more for pheasants than we wear deer hunting. How many of you have questionable orange? I was finally told that my orange is not "blaze enough" by a warden.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
just need a hat or glove you dont have to look like a pumpkin rolling across the prairie down here

- - - Updated - - -

never have had a warden down here question my orange hat as that is all i ever wear

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I called in and shot a whitetail buck with my bow last year, from the ground, no ground blind, during rifle season, while wearing my full rifle colors - orange vest and cap.

Didn't seem to be a big deal.

I'd rather be a huge orange ball than shot at. Have you guys seen some of the hunters trolling the roads?

deliverance-duo.jpg

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not required in every state. ND requires a total of 400 square inches. Must have a cap and vest or coat. Some states require one or the other and not much of it. ND law says it must be solid orange not camo orange as is legal in some states.

Ive never tried to wear camo orange, but I have gotten away with wearing orange mesh on my chest without any problems. Would have to be a dick warden to ticket someone for wearing camo orange tho, seriously....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I called in and shot a whitetail buck with my bow last year, from the ground, no ground blind, during rifle season, while wearing my full rifle colors - orange vest and cap.

Didn't seem to be a big deal.

I'd rather be a huge orange ball than shot at. Have you guys seen some of the hunters trolling the roads?

deliverance-duo.jpg

if they are that in bred they are probably color blind so you get to squeal like a pig either way

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do admit the full body coveralls/snowmobile suits are excessive.

thats a Minnesota staple

- - - Updated - - -

couple years ago i saw a couple guys out mule deer hunting in full winter coveralls blaze orange. Talk about over heating

- - - Updated - - -

MT is nice, just need a vest. I cant seem to find a blaze baseball cap that i like/fits

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant seem to find a blaze baseball cap that i like/fits

man you ain't kidding, I checked all over town last week to no avail

I finally found a browning logo cap at Gander that was decent and fit really well. There was no price on it and the lines were long. I laughed and walked out leaving it lay. A typical Gander shopping experience.

I know - I deserved it for going to Gander.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
just need a hat or glove you dont have to look like a pumpkin rolling across the prairie down here

- - - Updated - - -

never have had a warden down here question my orange hat as that is all i ever wear

I guess that makes all three of us res hunters. I will pop on a shirt if there are a bunch of guys road hunting in the area but most times its just a hat.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats a Minnesota staple

- - - Updated - - -

couple years ago i saw a couple guys out mule deer hunting in full winter coveralls blaze orange. Talk about over heating

- - - Updated - - -

MT is nice, just need a vest. I cant seem to find a blaze baseball cap that i like/fits

Orange spray paint will solve your cap problem...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76