Wolf Hunting?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend and I are heading to Ontario wolf hunting in December, curious if anyone has hunted them before and if so, any advice? We are planning to put out bait stations and hope for the best. Have three areas lined up to hunt - hopefully that will be enough for the two of us. Also have an electronic call, any chance a wolf will respond to one?

Read a lot but really going in blind, first time trying this. More just to get away and try something different, any pointers or idea appreciated!

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can find a fresh clear cut or one from the previous year. Wolves love to hang around the old landings. Deer in the north country are drawn to a fresh clear cut like a big pile of corn. Hence the wolves will follow. If you can get in ear shot of them you have a good chance of calling them in.

I've called them in with the Randy Anderson "kiss of death" (lip squeak). Doe bleat can calls work well also. When they come to a call they come scary fast. A little unsettling how fast they can get on top of you. I would recommend bringing a shotgun just to be safe.

One thing I never did try was using a grunt call and set it on the fawn bleat and wail away on it. Throw in some coyote howls to give the impression of competition. Wolves are social and territorial, not to mention deer killing machines. So try and play that against them. When they hunt in packs they tend to do deer drives. A pack of pushers through a section with standers patrolling the next trail or road.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunting wolves can be a frustration thing if they have been hunted before. they learn QUICK!!.
baiting them has not worked well for me. fresh/unfrozen scraps are the key thing.

calling is fun but i've had packs right on top of me andhave had only 1 commit.

fresh snow/tracks and pushing them to a poster has been our best tactic so far.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, this is on private land that a friend of mine owns in SW Ontario. He has wolves on camera at night and daytime on an almost daily basis. They heard them and had them close to the cabin the last two weeks while up there deer hunting. To his knowledge none of the neighbors have shot any the past few years, there is a trapper that will trap that area occasionally. The neighbors have also given us permission to hunt/bait their land as well so should have enough area.

Having never done this before and not expecting huge success, but it is close enough to where I live, tags are relatively cheap, and just something else to have a go at.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent most of the last 2 weeks at the NW Angle deer hunting. Saw 5. A good friend has hunted wolves in Ontario the last 4 years and has had success every year. Got a Black and 3 grays. Will start hunting again soon as the ice is safe.

If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will try to answer or get you an answer.

Good Luck!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
if possible, line up as many beaver carcasses as possible.
wolves LOVE them.

I have still not been able to find a good answer to what we can bring across for bait, if any? I have bait lined up, up there with a local deer processor so we should be good there, but never thought of beaver? May have to try to locate a trapper up there?

Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Spent most of the last 2 weeks at the NW Angle deer hunting. Saw 5. A good friend has hunted wolves in Ontario the last 4 years and has had success every year. Got a Black and 3 grays. Will start hunting again soon as the ice is safe.
If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will try to answer or get you an answer.

Good Luck!

I send you a message! Kind of general though?

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy and I have been to Ontario a few times trying to hunt those things. Had some close calls but haven't connected on one yet. We tried the bait thing with very little success, what we found is that if we covered enough ground on snowmobiles we might come across one of their kills that hasn't been entirely eaten yet, then we'd set up on that. It seemed to us they were much more comfortable coming into one of their own deer kills than some random new bait that showed up on the trail. Granted we've only gone in February and most of our time was spent driving the perimeter of frozen lakes looking for a fresh kill of theirs. Not sure if you'll have ice or even snow in December to do that. An old- timer up there told us once that the wolves will push deer out onto a frozen lake in the winter where they can run them down easier than in the timber... Another local also told us he's called in numerous wolves in September while moose hunting and using cow moose calls, so that might be a thought if you try calling. Hope this helps and good luck

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, we are going to try calling also. Talked to a local up there tonight, they have been deer hunting and not seeing much but are telling me that every morning there are new wolf tracks and that they hear them howling every morning before sunup. Who knows? Thanks for the help and "maybe" one of us can tag one?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
trapper 62. i hope these folks you're talking to are not pulling your leg.
not common to see wolf tracks/howling everyday in the same spot.
wolves typically put on a lot of miles but will come back through a familiar area.
unless there is a good amount of deer, they won't hang out in the same spot for 2 long.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have know this guy for about 12 years, hunted with him numerous times and he is a very straight forward guy. He has been sending me pix for the past few months and I have no doubts that he is telling me the truth. He actually drug is trail into the cabin as the ground was wet at 8 a.m. last week thursday and when they left at 11 a.m. there were tracks on it already.

I'm not expecting to see a lot but hopefully can tag one!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got home last night but with no wolves in the box! Had a blast, learned a lot, we got more educated by the wolves than they by us, saw three, had one in the box before I pulled the trigger then all went south real fast, ;;;;;;; and the rest is history! Found out just how dark it gets when you are totally away from lights, also how long the evenings can be from sundown until you go to bed when in a 16'x 20' cabin with no TV, Radio!

Planning to give it a go next year but will be much better prepared! We had fresh tracks in the snow everyday there except one and lots of howling going on at night. Couple things that I think hurt our odds is that the weather was way to nice and none of the lakes or rivers (streams) were frozen making it hard to get around and locate packs. I think we need to treat our baits more like bear baits, cover them to keep the ravens out and maybe get them in tighter cover not so much out in the open unless the lakes are froze, man them dam birds can eat A LOT of bait.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66