357 revolver?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about getting one, any recommendations? Just for fun or maybe hunting, not CC.

Looking at something like this....
70260_1.jpg
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_1814/products_id/70260/Ruger+1707+GP100+KGP-161+6RD+357MAG38SP+%2BP+6%22

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one. Mine is a single action. Pretty fun to shoot and u can shoot .38 special as well

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
9k=

I have a ruger GP100. Nice gun. I mostly shoot 38's through it. When I let me friends shoot it I like to load five 38's and then the last one a 357. It gets there attention! S & W 686 is a dandy as well.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess theres a trigger job video you can do yourself for the ruger that helps a lot....

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
S&W 686 is an amazing gun. I had one for about 5 years in college, then traded it in on a new Rem. 700 25-06. They gave me $150 more than what I had paid for it, so I was a happy camper!!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, I like the S&W 686+1 so much I have 2 with 4 inch barrel 7 shot. Never go anywhere without it. Accuracy out the short gun is total awesome as well.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the SW 686 or 586. They are amazing. I have the 4" barrel model. I absolutely love it. I can even conceal carry with it in the winter if I want to. I just chose other options.

If you can do some research and look for something that was pre-lock. The newer models have a lock by the cylinder release button. They don't affect the shooting of the gun, but the pre-lock models are more desirable by collectors and will increase in value. My only suggestion if you do this, is have a buffer period after the sale so that you can have the gun inspected by a gun smith to make sure the timing of the cylinder is on and that the gun functions properly.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a S&W 629 Classic in 44mag with a 8 1/2" barrel & scope similar to this that I like. It has a little kick but not terrible and is very accurate at 50 yds I have not shot much further than that. I don't have large hands and the classic fits very well and is comfortable to shoot.

4cd3fe8adf04781c040a34fa0c678b32.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a reloader, is 44mag more desirable than 375? I also cast my own bullets occasionally, if that makes any difference....

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my old ady the ruger "Black Hawk" it came with an extra silinder, so she can shoot 9's ,switch silinder's and then 38's or 357

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a reloader, is 44mag more desirable than 375? I also cast my own bullets occasionally, if that makes any difference....

I don't think so. You can cast bullets for .357 also. I have the 686 Smith for about 25 years now. I paid $300 for it brand new. I think they about $700 now. I don't shoot mine much. If you can handle different models might be good. Some people don't like the full barrel underlug.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have smith 629 classic deluxe in 6 1/2 and 8 3/8" - bout 20 years old... have some other smiths as well, but not a 686... yet...

the 44's each have thousands of rounds through them, and the triggers get crisper with every pull...

love me some smith wheel guns...

fwiw, i loaded 44's for years and it was pretty cheap with little issues with the brass for at least 6 loads... loading 190's and 220's down for accuracy with lead bullets was comfortable to shoot out of the heavier full lug guns...

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe "big bore" revolvers should be single action like all shotguns should be M12's, SXS or Sweet Sixteen A5's.

Anyways, pard in the Farce had a "hog leg" 686 I wish I had now. This SOB was easily "open sight beer can accurate" at 100yds with a variety of .357 loads. Used 1800/"pumpkin on the post" hold; from a rest or sitting on a "good day" (single action--trouble hitting a horse double). I wish I still had the orange spray painted paper plate from the final sight in volley. All six rounds were obviously minute of beer can and in later exploits warm PBR provided great sport. I would have preferred shooting Old Milwaukee but Danny actually drank that horrid shi'ite. She seemed to prefer Remington 158 SWC but as I said, was fine with everything once you spotted in the hold. Every load would put the round in the boiler room with no issue (energy probably too anemic from a .357 Rem handgun IMHO). Plinking within 50yds was like throwing quality darts in the pub. More clays were poked situated on the clay bank than destroyed by shotgun.

On a side note, I read a few years ago excessive .38 use will result in difficult .357 case extraction due to "trumpeting". The face and forward cylinder provides for premature erosion; allowing extreme mouth expansion like a queer.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe "big bore" revolvers should be single action like all shotguns should be M12's, SXS or Sweet Sixteen A5's.

Anyways, pard in the Farce had a "hog leg" 686 I wish I had now. This SOB was easily "open sight beer can accurate" at 100yds with a variety of .357 loads. Used 1800/"pumpkin on the post" hold; from a rest or sitting on a "good day" (single action--trouble hitting a horse double). I wish I still had the orange spray painted paper plate from the final sight in volley. All six rounds were obviously minute of beer can and in later exploits warm PBR provided great sport. I would have preferred shooting Old Milwaukee but Danny actually drank that horrid shi'ite. She seemed to prefer Remington 158 SWC but as I said, was fine with everything once you spotted in the hold. Every load would put the round in the boiler room with no issue (energy probably too anemic from a .357 Rem handgun IMHO). Plinking within 50yds was like throwing quality darts in the pub. More clays were poked situated on the clay bank than destroyed by shotgun.

On a side note, I read a few years ago excessive .38 use will result in difficult .357 case extraction due to "trumpeting". The face and forward cylinder provides for premature erosion; allowing extreme mouth expansion like a queer.

im glad I read through the whole thing. Thumbs Up

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waggles, I'm perplexed about any reluctance to read the whole of all of my posts. I work hard.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do generally read your posts all the way through cuz I enjoy your minstrel ways

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member

You are talking about me again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73