Backpack Hunters

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody on here do any backpack hunts out west at all?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning on it. A trip to idaho is in the works next year. Packed a muley out of the wilds of west river sodak a few days ago.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive never packed in a spike camp (yet). Usually setup a basecamp and hunt from there. Hike out in the morning, hike back at dark. Fire up the jet boil and make some instant coffee while glassing in the morning, making a fire to stay warm while taking a lunch break, i could go on. i love it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive never packed in a spike camp (yet). Usually setup a basecamp and hunt from there. Hike out in the morning, hike back at dark. Fire up the jet boil and make some instant coffee while glassing in the morning, making a fire to stay warm while taking a lunch break, i could go on. i love it.

gets me right in the man feels

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

that is kinda what we have planned to do it like that

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I backpack hunt in CO for elk. Usually stay in 5 days. There are two of us. When the gear is split up we have 85# packs. It's a load but nothing compared to packing out elk meat. Sleeping in the hunting area gets us about 3 more hours of sleep each night.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I backpack hunt in CO for elk. Usually stay in 5 days. There are two of us. When the gear is split up we have 85# packs. It's a load but nothing compared to packing out elk meat. Sleeping in the hunting area gets us about 3 more hours of sleep each night.

Holy crap. How much gear do you bring in? My pack is like half that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy crap. How much gear do you bring in? My pack is like half that.

Wuss.

rimshot.gif

Last edited:

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sleeping bag, tent, pad, MREs, bow, calls, knives, clothes, rain gear, wet wipes, extra boots, but no liquids. It adds up fast.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Face. 3man. I like to stay dry. I've tried cheaper tents but am always disappointed.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
what tent are you running i have been looking at the seek out side cimarron.

http://store.seekoutside.com/the-cimarron/

This is going to be my next purchase. I usually hunt alone, but the weight penalty is well worth the extra room and comfort.

- - - Updated - - -

How much does your kitchen sink weigh? :::

Time to take a closer look at that gear list. You're working way to hard! I went in with 3 liters of water and 10 days worth of food this year and still came in at 53lbs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems on rokslide it has a big following and i like that i can have a stove. Our plan is to drive in hike in and set up a camp and hunt out of that location. Neither of us have done any thing like this so it will be a learning experience

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems on rokslide it has a big following and i like that i can have a stove. Our plan is to drive in hike in and set up a camp and hunt out of that location. Neither of us have done any thing like this so it will be a learning experience

Thumbs Up a fun one tho

- - - Updated - - -

elk, mulies? both?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife was making fun of us as like little school girls we were talking areas and gear and it almost still a year away.

- - - Updated - - -

Elk we will get wolf tags to as they are only 31 dollars so only makes sense to have one in your pocket

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Kelty Grand Mesa 4. It is bigger and heavier than what I need or want but I've had other priorities before that particular upgrade. It does the job and is sturdy as it needs to be though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75