How Healthy is Your Venison?

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've become quite interested in eating all around more healthy in recent years and now pay a little more attention to how much and what kinds of fat, as well as how much sodium and cholesterol is in a lot of the foods I eat. I haven't gone entirely awol however, as I don't count calories or limit my food intake. When I'm hungry (this is always, unfortunately), I eat. Anyway, considering its deer season and I just finished butchering my latest harvest, I decided to take a look at the nutrition facts for venison (keep in mind these numbers will vary depending on what your deer is eating itself). So the numbers are telling me:

One 3 oz serving of venison:

Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 3g

Cholesterol: 83mg :eek:

Sodium: 66mg

Total Carbs: 0g

Protein: 22g

Venison is also a good source of a number of the B-vitamins along with minerals like Iron, Phosphorus, and Potassium.

Overall, not too bad. I would like to see the Fat a little lower, but it is red meat, and it's lower than beef (I'll never give up beef, however). No carbs in venison, which is hard to believe (and not hard at the same time biologically), just don't try to run a marathon on venison I guess. Cholesterol is a little high, unfortunately. Seems most wild creatures are a little high in this category. If you like eating walleye and your cholesterol levels are little high, don't look up the nutrition facts for a fillet of fish.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
How is the fat that high? Venison has got to be some of the leanest wild game on the planet. Why else does it get so dry if you overcook it past medium rare by 5 seconds?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could those numbers come from farm raised deer instead of wild and would that account for a higher fat content than anticipated?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could those numbers come from farm raised deer instead of wild and would that account for a higher fat content than anticipated?

^^^This^^^

If this were burger, 7g of fat in 3 oz would be like 92/8 ground beef. Unless you leave fat on your venison (yuck) it will be leaner than 92/8.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nature Made "gummies" (gay sounding) for adults are your friend then. And Budw...water, water, water.

th

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't drink water unless I got the drunk the night before. I'll eat what I want till I get fat then mabey watch it

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I presume you are the type to go to Arby's to get full and trim fat from deer meat so it doesn't taste like shi'ite? Anyways Kick, drink more water. It may not make you more "healthy" but you'll feel better. Promise.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a fan of Arby's now and them and yes I do trim all the fat off deer meat but replace it with pork fat. I'll try and drink more water I'm drinking now so I have a few glasses tomorrow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 163
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 130
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80