Fur prices

trapnfur

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coyotes are still decent but down close to 20% from last year. Raccoon are about worthless and rats are in the $1 to $2 range right now. Hard to say until the first auction but with the poor economy of China, Russia, and Greece things are going to be tough for awhile! Still fun to get out!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If my fur check covers my expenses, I'm a Happy Camper!!! If it doesn't, at least I got a bunch of exercise and I took out some coyotes, raccoons, beavers, mink, and some other various critters......except fox. Bums me out a bit when I find a fox in my sets. I kind of like them poofy orange critters running around.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
If my fur check covers my expenses, I'm a Happy Camper!!! If it doesn't, at least I got a bunch of exercise and I took out some coyotes, raccoons, beavers, mink, and some other various critters......except fox. Bums me out a bit when I find a fox in my sets. I kind of like them poofy orange critters running around.

KDM, I also let fox walk. I haven't killed one since I was a kid.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long can you keep them once they have been stretched and dried? Can you just bank them for the next upturn?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can keep properly and I do mean properly fleshed, stretched, and dried skins for a couple years if stored in the correct conditions. I don't have the freezer space or the inclination to keep fur. It costs money to store goods for an entire year. The freezer space is worth more to me than the few bucks you MIGHT COULD MAYBE POSSIBLY get if you stored them for the next year. Besides, I'd rather put fresh critters or pelts in that same space rather than let it sit and soak old goods.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah huffranger, I took 3 foxes last season and released 5 more. Had no choice on the 3. (Bummed Face) The good news was that the fox didn't start to show up until we had taken out 18 coyotes from the same 300 acre area. If I'm catching foxes, that means the coyotes are gone to the point the foxes feel comfortable to be in the area again and I might need to think about scaling down my sets in that area. Tough call as them stinky butt sniffers tend to move in to a stinky butt sniffer vacant area real damn quick and then push the fox out again. GRRRR!!!

trapnfur

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can keep properly stretched and dried pelts for several years providing you can keep them in a dry bug free area. If I am going to keep pelts tell next year I usually just freeze them green (skinned and un-fleshed) with fur out. Muskrats I roll with fur out and vacuum seal before they go in the freezer.

Just like KDM said its a gamble! Its like playing the stock market or maybe worse. Good luck!

Its a good year to get fur items made for the wife or friends!

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Received $35 for an average color/size/pelt dog on the carcass a couple weeks ago. On the carcass, $20 for baby dogs on up to $50 for larger pales and more for truly exceptional.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
not trying to sound dumb, but how do you release a fox without getting bit

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
not trying to sound dumb, but how do you release a fox without getting bit

Foxes are quite timid when caught. I just wear leather gloves, go slow up to the fox, and pounce on'em. All of my foxes were in snares so I just pin the muzzle closed while holding the body between my legs and cut the cable around the neck. Then I get off the body and stand up when I release the muzzle. 3 of the 5 took quite a while to realize they were free, one I had to walk away from before he would go, and one I had in a bunch of cattails and i couldn't stand up real fast so I just covered my face with my gloves when I let him go and pivoted on my knees. I was told that if I get one in a foot hold to use a 5 gallon bucket to put over the fox so you can get at the trap. Pouncing on a fox that has his one foot caught might do more harm than good. Hoping I don't have to use that little trick anytime soon.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always had a 6' x 6' tarp to throw over a fox or cat. Then just get on them. Sometimes I would catch the neighbors dog on a foot hold. They sometimes were tough to let go. After trying to release cats it was just easier to rap them in the head.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Received $35 for an average color/size/pelt dog on the carcass a couple weeks ago. On the carcass, $20 for baby dogs on up to $50 for larger pales and more for truly exceptional.

Where did YOU sell them ???

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Foxes are quite timid when caught. I just wear leather gloves, go slow up to the fox, and pounce on'em. All of my foxes were in snares so I just pin the muzzle closed while holding the body between my legs and cut the cable around the neck. Then I get off the body and stand up when I release the muzzle. 3 of the 5 took quite a while to realize they were free, one I had to walk away from before he would go, and one I had in a bunch of cattails and i couldn't stand up real fast so I just covered my face with my gloves when I let him go and pivoted on my knees. I was told that if I get one in a foot hold to use a 5 gallon bucket to put over the fox so you can get at the trap. Pouncing on a fox that has his one foot caught might do more harm than good. Hoping I don't have to use that little trick anytime soon.
Picturing you getting ready to pounce on a fox makes me smile!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
HaHaHaHa!! Live was definitely better than memorex on those deals. I'm damn glad nobody has had a video camera for the crazy stuff I did last year on my inaugural snaring season. The best was the two man release of of a VERY PISSED OFF AND WELL ARMED male fisher. What a gong show that was.....and we ALMOST lost the battle. LOL!!!

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did YOU sell them ???

Beadle Fur Trading & Brokerage via Tim Tiede from Englevale. I can only speak for myself, but they/Tim has ALWAYS been fair to me. (fair=getting more than i expect, every time)

Sold a couple in Jamestown for a great price last year, can't recall the name of the place. ****west end hide and fur 252-0150**

Was going to get a fair price from Heid out of Judson but he went from "see you at 7pm" to "I'm not coming to town for 2 coyotes" all within an hour...........so those had to be thrown (freezer space/deer season priority/shouldve just frickn cased those dogs......../does anyone keep their word these days???)

Rick Mitleider S of Tappen is a great option too.

Anyone have some bismarck/mandan names that pay a fair price????????

Last edited:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know that I won't be selling to Petska this year, I'd rather give them away to small time guys than get less than market value from the big fur traders. I had a top lot male (or very close) that I let go last year to Petska Fur and I can tell you that won't happen again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66