Nerf Bars...

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the wife wants nerf bars for the truck. I've never had them on any of my trucks... but she is getting older (don't teller her I said that) and wants them and I'm tired of hearing about it.

Question: I travel a fair amount of gravel. What is going to hold up the best? Chrome or stainless steel? Should a guy just buy a set of painted ones, sand them down and put Rhino Liner on them right out of the box?

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think you want chrome. I have always had stainless and never had a problem. It will fade a little where rocks continually hit them but really only on very front and underside at least from my three sets I have had.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think you want chrome. I have always had stainless and never had a problem. It will fade a little where rocks continually hit them but really only on very front and underside at least from my three sets I have had.

Yeah...the more I read on this, it sounds like stainless steel is the way to go. Thanks for the input.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the Westins on last 2 trucks. They held up just find on the gravel for multiple years between the 2. I dunno, that's the only ones I've ever had.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the Westin bars are the cheapest set and the hold up. As good or better then anything on the market. Stainless is the way to go.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could take a sander to scuff up the stainless and put a bedliner on the bottom of them if one so wished. I did that to my last pair and it worked out nice

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at Luverne brand stainless Nerf bars. I believe they are the highest quality that I looked at. May pay more for them, but lifetime warranty and made in SD.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had Luverne on two trucks for sure they are good quality. The last set I had was wider I think 4 inch wide. From the side they look the same but actually give your foot something to stand on. I really liked them. I can not remember the brand on those though. They may have still been Luverne but I just can't remember. I bought them at realtruck.com. I see they are having nerfvember right now too so maybe you can get a deal there depending on what you settle for.

- - - Updated - - -

After looking I believe the wide ones I had were DeeZee brand.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
had some Laverne ones, sprayed them with rhino liner, it worked great until they rusted out from the inside...Im not sure what happened, I can only assume that when the liner was sprayed on, the bars weren't completely dry. Just something to watch out for.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the feedback. Will look at the Laverne ones closely. I think I'll go with the stainless and if/when they start to look ruff I'll sand them down and hit them with bed liner.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pickup (ford) has the oval stainless or aluminum ones. I like em because they keep the rock chips off the paint because they are wider and tucked in nice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77