Whole meat venison jerky

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recipes? Dry spice/cure packs ($$$) vs home brewed? Slice thickness? With grain, against, or bias?

Discuss!!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
My latest batch was for goose, not venison, but it was the best stuff I ever made as far as jerky goes.

1. Follow Tender Quick recipe on the back of the package for brine.
2. Slice against the grain. 1/4 inch max.
3. Submerge all the meat in the brine solution.
4. Add 1/2 cup of soy sauce and three tablespoons of brown sugar. Brine over night.
5. Remove meat and rinse with fresh water.
6. Skewer on one end to hang in smoker.
7. Dust with black pepper.
8. Hang in smoker to dry.
9. Do not let dog outside without supervision (I screwed this step up. Lost 80% of my jerky).
10. Smoke until desired "toughness" is achieved at 200 degrees. (2 hours or so for me).

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine turns out pretty darn good with dry stuff from the box. Hi country or mountain. Can't remember right now and it matters cause one is way better than the other. Ive started just doing it in the oven without smoke. I think it has some artificial smoke in the mix.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to get whole meat jerky made with Uncle Abe's seasoning. It was very good. Now Uncle Abe's has several varieties. Always like the whole meat jerky over the ground up stuff. West Dakota Meats in Bismarck makes good stuff.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing too scientific to what I do for the whole muscle jerky. Slice it around 1/8".............use a mixture that is about 3/4 cup soy, a little worcestshire, little liquid smoke, some garlic pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, little black pepper. Marinate it in a zip loc overnight.

Dehydrate it till good and dry, but not too brittle.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I slice up the whole muscle with an electric knife and then season and cure and then vacuum seal the meat before smoking or dehydrating.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely hi country original... not high mountain. one package now does 20 lbs. when you dump it on, it seems like it is complete overkill. but, you need to use every bit of it regardless of the fact that it seems like there is too much. turns out great every time. i just did my rez "doe" on thursday. turned out great again. i fell asleep and it got a little dry. but, i quickly transferred it to a ziploc and got it in the fridge and by the next morning, the moisture had evened itself out. i only do about 4 cuts from each deer into muscle meat jerky. those 2 nice pieces with no sinew from each hind quarters. if its a big enough deer, there are a couple more i get from the front. after filleting off the silver skin and other crap, i was left with exactly 7 pounds of nice red whole muscle meat. i use one of those jerky fillet boards to slice it. beats the electric slicer i have in my book cause i can keep the pieces nice and big without having to cut them before feeding them to my electric slicer. once it comes out of the oven, i cut them into smaller pieces with a game scissors. it yielded exactly one heaping gallon ziploc that wouldn't quite close until i "sampled" a bunch. the back straps become steaks, the two hind rounds become roasts and the rest gets ground up into one thing or another.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i had the inkling to do fowl again, i think i would go the route of a brine though. nothing sucks more than biting into a piece of foul fowl jerky. rinsing, brining and rinsing again greatly reduces the chances of that. but, that problem isn't prevalent with nice cuts of deer since they tend to be absent of blood clots and are easy to evenly cover with seasoning.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YFYV4K/?tag=nodakangler10-20

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home...tination=/category/Jerky-Making/104407380.uts

Fillet Board and Knife.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

that board is two sided. one side creates slices about 1/8 inch and the other is about 1/4 inch. i always use the thinner 1/8 inch side. it comes with a couple of board insert thingys too for holding the meat down and/or placing next to the meat so that the knife doesn't have to span the entire width of the board depending on how big the chunk of meat is. there are other versions online. but, that's the one i have.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If using a good cut of meat (deer, elk, beef) I like my whole muscle jerky cut with the grain so I can rip a long strip off with my teeth. I like this type of jerky pretty dry, however.

When making goose jerky I cut across the grain and keep it a lot less dry. This will give you a fairly tender jerky.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody own/use LEM's jerky slicer/tenderizer attachment? (I have an LEM 8 grinder)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
45 reviews on cabelas with a 4.8 rating and a rating of 4.4 on amazon and one of the two negative ratings on amazon is bitching about a wood cutting surface.

Works best with bigger cuts. Use insert for smaller cuts. It took 5-10 minutes to slice my 7 pounds. It takes me longer than that to break down and wash my electric. But, in all fairness, I think my electric is a POS.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I slice up the whole muscle with an electric knife and then season and cure and then vacuum seal the meat before smoking or dehydrating.

Do stop vaccuum sealing when the liquid just gets to the top of the bag? I have been wondering how to vacuum seal a hunk of meat or jerky in marinate with out sucking all the liquid into the machine.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do stop vaccuum sealing when the liquid just gets to the top of the bag? I have been wondering how to vacuum seal a hunk of meat or jerky in marinate with out sucking all the liquid into the machine.

If you are marinading then u need to use a vacuum seal container. They work great for marinating meat before grilling. For slice jerky that is just being cured and seasoned i just seal it in a regular vaccum seal bag and have not had an issue with the seal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make mason jar (canister) adapters for most food vacs. Marinating in a jar keeps the meat under constant vacuum and results in "pushing" the marinade into the meat. More effective than bags because bags are always at atmospheric pressure. Not that it's crucial for jerky of course.

- - - Updated - - -

My latest batch was for goose, not venison, but it was the best stuff I ever made as far as jerky goes.

1. Follow Tender Quick recipe on the back of the package for brine.
2. Slice against the grain. 1/4 inch max.
3. Submerge all the meat in the brine solution.
4. Add 1/2 cup of soy sauce and three tablespoons of brown sugar. Brine over night.
5. Remove meat and rinse with fresh water.
6. Skewer on one end to hang in smoker.
7. Dust with black pepper.
8. Hang in smoker to dry.
9. Do not let dog outside without supervision (I screwed this step up. Lost 80% of my jerky).
10. Smoke until desired "toughness" is achieved at 200 degrees. (2 hours or so for me).

how many lb venison?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't weigh it but I'm guessing it was 6-7lbs ish. I was winging it. The key is to use enough brine to get all the meat submerged. I just used two big tupperware containers.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put jerky in bags because then i can season it and freeze it. Then when i want to make jerky just thaw out the bag and the meat is ready for the smoker or dehydrator... No 24 hour waits to get the meat cured.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the High Mountain brand, and it turns out great. The best jerky is whole muscle meat like everyone has said. I fillet all the sinew off the pieces when I butcher. I sprinkle the seasoning on then place in a container and sprinkle the other side as I stack them in the container. Cure for two days in the fridge, vacuum seal or dehydrate

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74