Ice Fishing Shovel

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Normally, I just put my shack up one whatever is there, but have been with several people that dig the shacks down and are able to bank up the snow around the outside. So I am wondering where to get a decent metal shovel that is still small enough to carry along in the sled. Any ideas?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a pigshit shovel with a long handle.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A plastic grain shovel because the new aluminum shovels are junk. I hope there is some snow to bank up around the skirting. snow_grain_shovel_300.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I use a pigshit shovel with a long handle.

Enslow did you see the new zippy Dahl rods from clam.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
images

Clam makes a nice sized one that is quite durable. Folds up small. I always have a grain shovel that stays in the back of the truck all winter.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
images

Clam makes a nice sized one that is quite durable. Folds up small. I always have a grain shovel that stays in the back of the truck all winter.

Ditto this.:;:thumbsup Plus the grain shovel comes in handy to dig out other trucks/cars vehicles that either didn't bring one or that think their rig can go thru any depth of snow! We all know the type!:;:stirthepot

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the aluminum grain shovel, try not to ever leave without it. I've broken way to many plastic shovels.

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry a grain shovel in my truck all winter and it fits in my sled. Mine is aluminum and the edge is a little beat up, but I've had it probably 5-6 yrs

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Such a compassionate guy, Mr. Johnr!

She likes to feel needed, who the hell am I to void her of that need.

She was 9 months pregnant with my youngest daughter when we got stuck deer hunting, she climbed under the pickup and started scooping like a damn fool. I said get back in the pickup, what the heck are you doing. She said, I will dig first, then when I get cold or tired you can start. Well she never did get cold or tired, dug the entire mess out. That was the day I knew I had chosen wisely.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
See if she will prep brass and set up hunting camp for you haha.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please convince mrs johnr to donate her body to the cloning sciences. My male decendents thank you/her in advance.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aluminum grain shovel is the way to go. Works for digging in the ice shack and also if you get your truck stuck. They are cheap, strong, very light and fit in most sleds. And you can move a lot of snow with one if need be.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
She likes to feel needed, who the hell am I to void her of that need.

She was 9 months pregnant with my youngest daughter when we got stuck deer hunting, she climbed under the pickup and started scooping like a damn fool. I said get back in the pickup, what the heck are you doing. She said, I will dig first, then when I get cold or tired you can start. Well she never did get cold or tired, dug the entire mess out. That was the day I knew I had chosen wisely.

Please tell me you are a lying sack of &^*%?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too am a fan of the grain shovel but I'll spray mine with cooking spray, scoops real nice

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry a grain shovel in my truck all winter and it fits in my sled. Mine is aluminum and the edge is a little beat up, but I've had it probably 5-6 yrs

Take the grinder after it or a hacksaw, cut/grind off the rough spots and get it back to "like" new. Doesn't take long with aluminum!!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep a clam shovel with the ice house and a aluminum scoop shovel in the pickup and 40 feet of chain and strap never know when some dumb ass is going to get stuck.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obama used to be keen on shoveling. Said he had a bunch just waiting on us. I would enjoy seeing him employ one in Leavenworth next to George Soros, the Chinese nation and the Clintongs. I, for one am not a shovel enthusiast unless it involves art or intellectualism. Anyways, I wish you good luck on this bewildering, elusive quest.

th

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89