6.5-300 Weatherby

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was looking at the Weatherby website tonight and I see they are offering this as a new caliber. I think it's been a wildcat for awhile, have seen talk on Long Range Hunting website.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy effing hell wow. That would be neat. I suppose this is enough of a bbl burner to exclude the .378...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
26 nosler if fast 6.5 barrel burners are what you want. Don't have to deal with weatherby brass. But if I want a 140ish going 3100 6.5 Saum would do it and nicely for 3000 rounds.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
26 nosler if fast 6.5 barrel burners are what you want. Don't have to deal with weatherby brass. But if I want a 140ish going 3100 6.5 Saum would do it and nicely for 3000 rounds.

buddy has one based off wssm brass. it's a delight to shoot.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another cool thing is brass from Hornady will be available in a couple.weeks.through GAP.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why it already has a huge following on the prs.circuit. There is alot of hunters with it. With addition of factory brass I would say the sky is the limit .

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds great if you reload, like to have a minimum of a 26 inch barrel to burn all the powder, and like toting around a heavy hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

To really maximize all that powder you should have a 28 inch barrel.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked through the nine rifles they offer in this caliber, and they are all 26" bbl, except the Mark V Lightweight Hunter say 28". If that is correct and not a typo.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds great if you reload, like to have a minimum of a 26 inch barrel to burn all the powder, and like toting around a heavy hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

To really maximize all that powder you should have a 28 inch barrel.

Gap extreme hunter is a 24 inch bbl and I think comes in at 7 or so pounds and many a elk have died courtesy of the 130 Berger. Georges intent was 1000 foot pounds of energy at a.1000 yards under 10 mil to get there and 3000 rounds for bbl life. All were accomplished. I know a few guys running 22 inch bbl with good results.

- - - Updated - - -

To add I run a 24 on my creedmoor and never had a problem. Rifle weighs 13 pounds maybe the day I chase sheep or mt goats I will worry about weight but till then it doesn't bother me to carry a gun I have the most confidence in.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah but to take advantage of the case capacity and to maximize speed you need slower burning powders and longer barrels. You arent making the big speed gains otherwise, just more muzzle blast.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess you need to tell George Gardner owner of gap he is wrong about everything he has done. 130 Berger 3200 fps with 61ish grains h1000 is fully burning in the 24 bbl. His phone number is on the site call him up and tell him he is wrong would be interested in that conversation. It would probably be safe to say he is not running on assumptions but actually has the equipment to back up the claims with empirical evidence.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was all in on getting a .280 nosler built until i realized the need for a heavy long barrel to get the massive speed gains. 28 inch barrels are heavy, long, and the rifle doesnt balance worth a shit. I can see using them for a long range bench gun though.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you need to tell George Gardner owner of gap he is wrong about everything he has done. 130 Berger 3200 fps with 61ish grains h1000 is fully burning in the 24 bbl. His phone number is on the site call him up and tell him he is wrong would be interested in that conversation. It would probably be safe to say he is not running on assumptions but actually has the equipment to back up the claims with empirical evidence.

Take it easy and breathe. I dont doubt 3200 fps at all and i dont think that is all that fast for a case that large.

- - - Updated - - -

Take it easy and breathe. I dont doubt 3200 fps at all and i dont think that is all that fast for a case that large. Also the weatherby website lists 130 grain bullets pushing 3500 fps at the muzzle. Im sure the test barrels are longer than 24 inch.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
im just not seeing the benefit. a guy could shoot 6.5wssm(.243ssm or .25ssm brass) and achieve damn near the same thing with a lot less thump and boom. all the while using less than 50 grains of powder

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the point there are already enough ultra fast bbl burners out there. He wasn't going for.top speed but other variables were considered. A 264 win mag will out run the 4s but you won't get 2500 rounds through a tube. It balances speed and bbl life and recoil while.running high.bc bullets better than anything else. If wanting to hot rod this there are better choices as it defeats the whole purpose of the cartridge.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
im just not seeing the benefit. a guy could shoot 6.5wssm(.243ssm or .25ssm brass) and achieve damn near the same thing with a lot less thump and boom. all the while using less than 50 grains of powder

Yea but

big truck.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

You can but lose bbl life running much higher pressure. Which is why the saum case was picked to work with.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the point there are already enough ultra fast bbl burners out there. He wasn't going for.top speed but other variables were considered. A 264 win mag will out run the 4s but you won't get 2500 rounds through a tube. It balances speed and bbl life and recoil while.running high.bc bullets better than anything else. If wanting to hot rod this there are better choices as it defeats the whole purpose of the cartridge.

im confused. (really, help me)

2 guns, same caliber, pushing a bullet "roughly" the same speed have different barrel life just because of case capacity? One gun burns over 60 grains of powder and the other burns 50?

- - - Updated - - -

You can but lose bbl life running much higher pressure. Which is why the saum case was picked to work with.

wait, i thought we were talking about 6.5-300wby?

- - - Updated - - -

i thought that powder amount seemed awful small for that giant case... it all makes sense now

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67