Broadheads, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious as to what you guys use. Good ones, ones to steer away from and ones you plan to try.

I used to be a fixed guy and have killed a lot of deer with my bow (around 30). I started out shooting Wasp Hammer SST, they were good. Switched to Shuttle T-Locks and liked them, but impossible to resharpen. Went to Montecs, easy to resharpen, but the holes were on the small side. Went to Slick tricks, and had one break off at the arrow, lost the deer and haven't shot them since.

Then switched to the original Rages. Penetration was not great, but I killed around 5 deer with them and all of the deer went down within 50 yards. This season I switched to Rage Hypodermics and was very disappointed. The deer I shot in Iowa went down within 70 yards of where he was hit, but the broadhead broke off at the shaft and he wasn't recovered for 2 days. I went out to the Badlands and shot a little buck, the first arrow penetrated to the fletchings, and the deer went down in about 40 yards, but I put another one in him for good measure and that one broke at the arrow shaft like the one in Iowa did.

After a bunch of looking on the line, I think I will go back to Montecs, or I might switch to RamCats. What are you guys using this season, or going to use for next season?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent a freaking ton of time over the course of three years to correct my form and tune my bow to get my fixed blades to hit with field points. Won't ever use a mechanical again. The broadheads I have flying best are the G5 Strikers. Couldn't get the Shuttle T-locs to quit pulling left. Last fall, I shot a coyote with an Ulmer edge. I have no idea how, but the arrow snapped about 8 inches from the fletching. Never recovered the coyote or the rest of my arrow to see what happened but I'm certain it didn't open.

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would never use a rage or any mechanical. So many horror stories. I want a fixed blade that I know will start cutting no matter what.

I shot 3 mature bull elk in a years time all with the G5 Montec. I don't see a reason to Change I guess

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montecs. When I got a new bow a few years back I bought some, screwed them on, and they hit right where my field points were hitting at 40 yds. Must be my 1986 ND state indoor champion form?

Like riding a bike.:;:muahaha

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
ermahgerd.jpg
How many times do I have to tell you heat seeking deer killing cheaply machined killing heads, shoot them once throw them away ERMAHGERDS chinas best broadhead under a dollar

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed, you cant go wrong with montecs, but like you said, the opening may be small. I haven't had a tuning issue with QAD Exodus BH's though. I also haven't shot a deer with them either. The doe I took in September was shot with a grim reaper WTS and dropped her within 50 yards.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just learned that Montec makes a teflon coated pre-season practice head! Guess I know what's on my xmas list.

No wait - I don't need them because they land in the same place as my field points. :;:muahaha

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using the QAD Exodus for 2 years. Taken 4 deer with it(doe reduction tags + my buck this year). I have been able to test them out to 40 yards and I don't have any flight issues with them. I sight in for field points and they fly right with them. They hit hard, make a big hole, and the penetration is great. I always get a pass through with them and the damage they do is ridiculous. They are also extremely durable. Last year I took 3 does with the same broad head. Took out 3 shoulder blades and 5-6 rib bones with it before I finally had a small chip in one of the blades that I sharpened right out. Still flies true. If you want a fixed blade, I would highly recommend these.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot G5 Montecs. I never have to worry about them malfunctioning, which is nice. Plus like it was already mentioned, the practice broadheads are a great idea. I always shoot my actual broadheads as well and just sharpen them after I'm done.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three Blade Rages for me !! With my setup it tears them up something bad.. Thought I would try out the rage hypodermic last year (shouldn't have listen to the hype).. Never again, not impressed one bit.. .. But the Three blades for me are the ticket.. I think its what shoots best and accurate out of your setup and what you have confidence in...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
G5 Montec's for this guy. Might look at getting the carbon steel ones and give them a whirl. I'll NEVER put a mechanical on the end of my arrow. I don't care how well they fly. If I have to pick between getting closer or shooting a mechanical.....guess I'll just have to get closer. I've trailed to many deer hit with those things that didn't function properly than I care to think about. When they work, they work well. However, IMO, the deer DESERVE something that works EVERY TIME. Not just most of the time.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO...If I am going to use a mechanical broadhead, I am going to use one that does not require any O-rings or locking collars or any of that extra stuff that can fail. NAP spitfires and Grim Reaper whitetail special are two that I am really interested in. Have seen a grim reaper blood trail, but have not had a chance to use the NAP yet.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot 3 blade muzzy. Another good option is the G5 striker. Blades are replaceable so no sharpening. They shot just like a Montec for me.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montecs but won't buy the carbon steel anymore. They are super sharp but one day of hunting in a misty rain rusted all 4 in my quiver. From now on stainless Montecs for me.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montecs but won't buy the carbon steel anymore. They are super sharp but one day of hunting in a misty rain rusted all 4 in my quiver. From now on stainless Montecs for me.

Well there's a nice little tidbit of information. Didn't even think about the rust deal. THANK YOU for posting that!!! Saved me about 45 bucks right there.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
He beat me to it. The carbon steel are durable as hell, but they do rust. Anyone have first hand experience with RamCats?

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have used G5 strikers for the last several years and have been very happy with their performance and see no reason to change.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77