load info?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am planning on using my 22-250 when I go wolf hunting. I shoot 35.5 grains of Varget and a 50 grain V-Max bullet in my coyote loads. Will this be sufficient for wolves or do I need a heavier bullet?

Any recommendation would be appreciated, I could step up to a heavier bullet, or caliber!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disclaimer: I have never been wolf hunting.

I would think that the 250 is 'enough gun', but not sure the vmax is the right bullet. Hit a shoulder or other large bone and you may lose the animal. A wolf is not just a slightly larger coyote. I would consider it big game, and would go after it accordingly with deer-type rounds.

If you're set on the 250, Sierra has a 65 gr gameking that should work nicely -- sorry, no personal load data for that.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was thinking the same, i am sure the gun is enough but not sure on the bullet? I can step up to a 243 which I have loads that would work, also 270 which seems a bit over kill but maybe not. Will have to play around this week a bit.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd bring the .270 honestly. They are bigger than a guy thinks and can cover a ton of ground in a hurry. I'd want to anchor them in place on that first hit.

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot quiet a few deer with a 55 gr. soft point out of my 250. Don't think I've ever had to shoot one twice. I would think that it's enough gun for a wolf. Pick a good quality bullet and make your shot count.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56