My Boy is Ready for Tip Up Season

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the past couple of winters my boy (he is 5 now) has taken a real liking to catching pike on tip ups. It is by far his favorite way to fish. I am pretty sure it is because he can run around and not pay much attention in between flags. When someone yells FLAG he is to full attention and will show that pike who is boss.

Anyway we were at a Black Friday sale and he spotted tip ups and just had to have one. (I have about 30 so we don't need any more) He wanted it and it was 1/2 price for the Black Friday sale so who was I to say no? It is different than any of mine so it would be easy to tell from the rest of the pack. We got home and he quickly opened it up and wrote his name on it and numbered it 1. This is so when he gets more he can know the order he got them (2,3,4, etc.) He was so pumped, I went back and got three more so he can get the rest of a set for Christmas.

I am just glad he is excited.

Attachments

12313761_10205086574668962_5758751724919174160_n.jpg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome.....I was in a similar situation 15 years ago. My son is now 20 and still prefers tip-up fishing. Might I suggest wrapping some hot dogs in a couple layers of tin foil which can be thrown on pretty much any heater to cook. A hassle free meal that is one of his favorites. Good luck!

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very cool! I also took advantage of 1/2 off tip ups. Picked up a couple just like that from Home of Economy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's beyond cool. Cherish that stuff as it's gone at light speed. He'll be tying Palomars and spooling baitcasters in the blink of an eye.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perfect! Pretty cool when your catching becomes secondary to their excitement and fueoing that fire to go in them; here's to a great season!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome my oldest last year when he was six discovered what a vexilar is and how it works. He would more caught up in watching the fish come up after the jig he would forget to set the hook when they would hit.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome my oldest last year when he was six discovered what a vexilar is and how it works. He would more caught up in watching the fish come up after the jig he would forget to set the hook when they would hit.

Is it wrong that I got him a Vexilar before he was born, I rigged up an older Humminbird for him and picked up an Aqua Vu a few weeks ago.

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughters love chasing flags and I love watching them take off after a flag. When I have them out with me I don't get to use the vexilar because they have it. Just can't seem to get my wife to understand that I need another one or two of them.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it wrong that I got him a Vexilar before he was born, I rigged up an older Humminbird for him and picked up an Aqua Vu a few weeks ago.

Nothing wrong with that. When I got a new vex the wife asked if I was going to sell the old one. Told her no unless I get to buy another one in a couple years when the kids get bigger. I'll be bringin my youngest along this year also mabey I'll get to upgrade. .

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the past couple of winters my boy (he is 5 now) has taken a real liking to catching pike on tip ups. It is by far his favorite way to fish. I am pretty sure it is because he can run around and not pay much attention in between flags. When someone yells FLAG he is to full attention and will show that pike who is boss.

Anyway we were at a Black Friday sale and he spotted tip ups and just had to have one. (I have about 30 so we don't need any more) He wanted it and it was 1/2 price for the Black Friday sale so who was I to say no? It is different than any of mine so it would be easy to tell from the rest of the pack. We got home and he quickly opened it up and wrote his name on it and numbered it 1. This is so when he gets more he can know the order he got them (2,3,4, etc.) He was so pumped, I went back and got three more so he can get the rest of a set for Christmas.

I am just glad he is excited.

Our kids have the same idea. I rarely use the round tip-ups but when my 5 year old comes with I have to bring his. My kid just has an extra letter.

image.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tip ups are still my favorite hard water fishing technique. Sit in vehicle where its warm, drinking hot cocoa or whatever you prefer, playing games on phone/tablet and catch fish in the process.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hook set tipup

bannerImage.jpg

These are quite the tip-up, I caught eye in 20 feet of water with a treble hook and on the red with a suckers. Takes a bit to figure how to set up but after that total good to go.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
hot3.jpg

These are quite the tip-up, I caught eye in 20 feet of water with a treble hook and on the red with a suckers. Takes a bit to figure how to set up but after that total good to go.

That raises a question are these things legal or not? I read the regs and it seems gray.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77