Spearing Lakes?

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a new resident of ND and just moved to Bottineau. I'm wondering if there are any lakes with good visibility for spearing near Bottineau. I've heard Darling is good but want something closer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Metigoshi, Long Lake, Pelican Lake, Carburry Dam, Gravel Lake.. Lots of options

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id like some tips on spearing lakes near Bismarck also if anyone has some hot tips! Biggest problem I have had is murky water. Tried a few lakes in the Steele/Napoleon area last winter with little success....

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id like some tips on spearing lakes near Bismarck also if anyone has some hot tips! Biggest problem I have had is murky water. Tried a few lakes in the Steele/Napoleon area last winter with little success....

I only speared it a couple of times but Horsehead has had pretty good clarity.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check that G&F book they put out. Some lakes are off limits to spearing. I believe the whole Mucklusky Canal is.

Does Horsehead lake still have a good population of pike? I remember at one time there were some biggies cruising them waters.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
New johns would be the cats ass for spearing if it were not for those damned pesky mushkies

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake Alice WMA is going to have so untapped snot rockets for sure make a trip, if it was up to me you could take 10 possession right away. Just kidding

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
baumgartners near linton has a healthy populations, rice lake a little further south has a ton, alkaline has plenty during open water as well. not sure on the water clarity though.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Rice lake by Strasburg. There are way to many 5- 10# pike in that lake and it's generally pretty clear. The SE corner access from the old boat ramp if you don't get your limit your doing it wrong!

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Horsehead froze out during one of those nasty winters. There probably won't be any monsters, but it has been stocked well since. When I speared it last year the fish were from about 24-29 inches. The numbers seemed good and I was all by myself.

It will be interesting to see if the heavy winds before freeze-up affected water clarity.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
High winds before freeze up is never good. I have seen lakes that took a month or two to clear up.

Shane Sugar Olson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It also summer killed a few years ago

- - - Updated - - -

Horsehead froze out during one of those nasty winters. There probably won't be any monsters, but it has been stocked well since. When I speared it last year the fish were from about 24-29 inches. The numbers seemed good and I was all by myself.

It will be interesting to see if the heavy winds before freeze-up affected water clarity.

Did u spear right off the winter access road?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Etta Alkaline Complex just south of Dawson. Good clarity, loads of eater pike, but no ramp. Gotta walk on from Hwy 3 at the culvert

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
New johns would be the cats ass for spearing if it were not for those damned pesky mushkies

Was going to suggest that as well till I saw your post and was reminded of the musky rule. Might want to try some of the back bays or the shallow water near the 83 causeway up on Sak....they should be fairly clear but having never tried it can't guarantee it.

Oahe would probably give you the best shot at truly big pike but clarity will likely be an issue at times especially this early.....mind you much of the main lake in ND is either open or just froze so its probably going to be a bit before the spots down there will safe to fish.

Last edited:

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only speared Horsehead once before the winter kill about five years ago. It was my first time ever spearing. That year the water clarity was pretty bad. Could see barely 4 ft. Two of us speared 5 fish in half a day, but it was tough to see. I was hooked after that...

Its amazing how water clarity can change from year to year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77