Reloading software

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of getting a reloading program. Basic things i would like it to have is ballistic programs, being able to record load data, gun inventory and reloading component inventory and cost analysis. From what i have been able to gather the sierra infinity program does some of this but only gives load information for their bullets. Something called rcbs load does most of these things but some of the user reviews on it suggest it is not too user friendly. Found something called Ballistic basics that looks like it has everything i want and more for $75. Already tried a couple of the cheaper or shareware versions and either cant get them to work on my computer or they weren't what i was looking for. Most the stuff i have seen out there was written for wins 98 or older operating systems so looking for something newer that would run on win 8 or 10. Before i pull the trigger on the $75 dollar one i would like to hear if someone is using something that they are pretty happy with.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For reloading data, Quickload is without peer. Use Excel to track inventories and run cost analysis'.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quickload is very versatile, but it is predictive. The data generated isn't the result of actual testing in a pressure barrel, it's generated according to a thermodynamic model. Before using any of Quickload's maximum powder charges, I'd double check with the powder maker's website.
I've had Quickload for years, but I read the disclaimer included with the software.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The +\- on a lot # of powder is IMO far less an issue than the variation in FF'd case capacity often seen in factory chambers. Factory chamber throat geometry is also IMO a bigger issue than is the +/- on a particular powder lot. Quickload and a double check over a good accurate chronograph beats the shit outta anything else I've ever seen. If there's something better, I'm all ears.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used my Pact chronograph for years as well. Generally I find that pursuing that last 100 fps velocity hinders accuracy in my over-the-counter production rifles. But a chronograph is the only consumer tool that can be used to even estimate pressures because pressure is proportional to velocity. Primer appearance isn't reliable, and by the time the case head shows an imprint of the ejector, you are dangerously near the pressure where metal fatigue will eventually cause the steel in the locking lugs to fail (70,000psi).
Accuracy first, velocity second. I usually only chronograph my accurate loads. With my chronograph I've found no advantage to magnum primers (three brands) in my 338 WinMag. I also have found wide velocity and some accuracy variation between powder lots. Since my reloads use the best (for accuracy) overall length, I've learned some interesting things about the effect of seating bullets further out than "normal" on velocity as well. Seating bullets further out adds little % to the case capacity but subtracts a much larger % of the freebore. When my velocity reaches what's published, I quit adding powder. In the 338 mentioned earlier, my longer overall length got me the published velocity of a 225gr bullet with 3 grains less powder than published by the powder maker.
Does everyone need to own a chronograph? No, but every group of friends should have one.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does everyone need to own a chronograph? No, but every group of friends should have one.

Labradar pre-ordered.

I like Quickload as a secondary check to the chronograph. Case in point, default water capacity of a 257Wby is 84gn. My FF'd Norma/Wby brass holds 90. I need a full +2gn over any max in any book I can find to get "correct" velocity, my 257Wby just has a generous chamber. Doubt I'd have gotten there just bumping charges by 1/2gn, I'dve ran outta guts before +2gn.

I've been BURNED by Quickload and 300Win/R-22 predictions. Pard ruined a few RWS cases with "starting" loads. Punch in the data, observe predictions, then use your noodle.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give us a review when you get the labradar have read a lot of good about it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give us a review when you get the labradar have read a lot of good about it.

I still can't quite figure why a guy's gotta pre-order them. You'd think they'd be building them by the truckload. Alas, after the 1st 2 runs sold out via pre-order, I jumped on the bandwagon. I'm really hoping the LR doesn't rat out my baby green Chrony as a liar.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66