Frabill Side Step Portable

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have one or has anyone used one of these portables? I was thinking about getting a bigger sled for the interim until i build a permanent. I was pretty set on either the clam voyager or jason mitchell thermal x but these side door units look pretty nice. I've never had nor fished with a frabill so i'm not sure on their quality either.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...All%2BProducts&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Chuckmain

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at that predator sidestep too. Looks awesome Just not sure if it can flip up half way to use as a wind break. Might be a way to rig it up so you can. The other thing i like about it is if your buddy has one too you could put them sise by side and just have the middle doors open, it would be like one long flipover!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazing shacks! I got one the very first year they had it and have not looked back. This is the reason why I am trying to sell my Predator Thermal. It is brilliant because you can have your heater and stuff in the front like normal and get in and out with ease. It is also designed so the front is square making hit higher for more room to stand and set hooks. There is a bit of learning curve to setup and tear down but it only takes a time or two to figure out.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have one but have fished out of one. Pretty slick setup. Only if it said otter and the parts weren't manufactured out of the most fragile of plastic and aluminum.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
so does anybody have one of the the thermal side step houses. I am in need of a new house and and leaning toward one of them for the easy in and out for big uncoordinated guys like me.

Leaning toward the Citadel that comes with the rod case as a seat

Last edited:

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can read my previous post on the topic. I have the Ambush which is now out of the rotation. That rod trunk seat looks like a cool deal. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the side steps.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have the side door setup. I like it. There is one extra step in setup, so not quite as quick as others for setup/tear down ... but still worth it.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the predator last season. I love the side doors. Like V said, it is another step setting up but once you've done it a few times you won't even realize it takes a minute longer. This is my first insulated house and I can't believe the difference it makes.

I would say the sled on the Frabill's is not nearly as sturdy as a clam but I don't usually tow it very far, if at all, so this was a non issue for me. Seats are movable and removable which is handy if you are going to be in it alone. Although the predator is a beast so I usually only take it if I have someone with me to help load it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love the side doors so I don't have to jump over the heater in the front. It does take a little bit more time to set up but is much quicker than a suitcase or hub style. If you are running and gunning and not setting up a heater than this one is not for you. You can flip it up as a windbreaker but it's not as easy as a true flip over.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
one last question before I hit the order button

does the citadel fit into a 6.5 foot GMC with the tail gate up?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the predator last season. I love the side doors. Like V said, it is another step setting up but once you've done it a few times you won't even realize it takes a minute longer. This is my first insulated house and I can't believe the difference it makes.

I would say the sled on the Frabill's is not nearly as sturdy as a clam but I don't usually tow it very far, if at all, so this was a non issue for me. Seats are movable and removable which is handy if you are going to be in it alone. Although the predator is a beast so I usually only take it if I have someone with me to help load it.

Yikes! I would take a long, hard look at the otter ProXT 1200 lodge. you get what you pay for.

- - - Updated - - -

however, if you are just going to take it in and out of the back of your truck it will be fine. If pulling it behind a sled or atv for any distance the otter is like a sore dick. you just cant beat it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why cant i find a lightweight portable with boat seats? A guy needs a damn forklift to load these flipovers now. These flipovers are supposed to be portable. My frabill predator is so heavy i tore my sack.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why cant i find a lightweight portable with boat seats? A guy needs a damn forklift to load these flipovers now. These flipovers are supposed to be portable. My frabill predator is so heavy i tore my sack.

Yup it is a beast isn't it. I kept my small clam for taking with me when I'm alone and use the predator when I have company.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

pics or it didn't happen

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr is right as usual - please just PM the pics to dirty - he's medically trained and can properly determine the veracity of the pics

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79