Collector gun care

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old model 94 lever action in the box and never shot. I took it out the other day and noticed some rust on a part of the receiver .

Would I further ruin the value if I clean the gun with some rem oil ? Is there a better way to remove the rust safely?

Thanks for your advice!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO you will further ruin the value if you continue to do nothing about rust. Never heard anyone say the value has increased with the increased rust. I would think Rem oil would be fine. I would maybe apply a heavier oil after rust removal so it hangs around longer. Rem oil is thin and doesn't stick around long. I would also check the humidity where you are storing it. Manage the humidity and also store the rifle where it can breathe. I believe it is recommended to not store a firearm in a soft sided case zipped closed for example.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to continue to store it....cosmoline

crc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I use this with a cut to length section of vacuum sealer bag. Vacuum seal and store.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go as far to send it to a high end gunsmith for cleaning/preservation. Rust pisses me off on guns and in political discussion.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go as far to send it to a high end gunsmith for cleaning/preservation. Rust pisses me off on guns and in political discussion.

I concur with svnmag.

Rust can be removed with white vinegar but remember that the bluing on the metal is a form of oxidization (as is rust). If you apply something to remove the rust you may further harm the finish. Re-bluing a rifle will definitely hurt it's value. Talk to a professional and find out if the rust can be removed without further altering the original finish.

- - - Updated - - -

...and remoil the heck out of that gun and allow it to breathe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75