Mr Heater Buddy

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was picking up some dog food at Runnings this afternoon, and they had the single burner little buddy heaters for $60.00. I have been using a 20lb sunflower heater for pretty much ever, when its not as cold I will use my little one lb propane cooker that sits right on top of the little bottle.
But with the price being fairly cheap I picked it up.
My question is that little pilot light that starts up the burner, if I am not needing heat can I leave that pilot light lit, and shut the burner off, then in a half hour or whatever turn it, the burner back on? The instruction book is rather vague.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not real sure what you're asking but I just shot mine all the way off if it gets too hot inside the shack.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need to keep the pilot on. Just click the igniter and it fires right up.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The buddy heaters are quieter than the sunflower heaters. I also believe the buddy heaters burn cleaner. I have gotten headaches from the sunflower heaters.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Return what u got, throw away your shitty sunflower and buy a big buddy for crying out loud. It's almost 2016

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my buddy but since I went to the clam bigfoot I might need the big buddy. Little guy just doesn't cut it when the cold wind blows.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Return what u got, throw away your shitty sunflower and buy a big buddy for crying out loud. It's almost 2016

Haha excellent. My 3 daughters and one son have all burnt jackets getting to close to the sunflower. ... I'm old school and will be sunflowering it up until it finally takes me out. My boy actually put 2 live targets to the bottom of the abis burning the line with in 20 minutes of each other. Must be a state record.
That heater will not beat me, I'm a winner I can feel it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha excellent. My 3 daughters and one son have all burnt jackets getting to close to the sunflower. ... I'm old school and will be sunflowering it up until it finally takes me out. My boy actually put 2 live targets to the bottom of the abis burning the line with in 20 minutes of each other. Must be a state record.
That heater will not beat me, I'm a winner I can feel it.

Sounds like you you could have bought a half dozen big buddies with the value of the stuff your hissing, fuming beast has massacred.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep the pilot going, if it should blow out, then relight it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still sunflower. The buddy blew out on me too often. This was 10 years ago. Has design improved since?

- - - Updated - - -

Pilot lights in a popup seems like overkill.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine rarely goes out. I use mine in the deer blinds too. Don't want to have the noise of the igniter. Also the popping and cracking of the sunflower heaters as they heat/cool is a no go in the blind.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still sunflower. The buddy blew out on me too often. This was 10 years ago. Has design improved since?

- - - Updated - - -

Pilot lights in a popup seems like overkill.

Mine doesn't blow out unless extreme wind hits it. Fishing with kids it makes it it funner not worrying about who is going to melt them selves.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Torch the pilot and then move up to the screen. No issues starting. If kept out of wind ok. If not hot spot comes out of truck

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63