Cicada guys?

strikemaster8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering if anybody else uses a cicada for ice fishing? I've been asked multiple times what I use and they always ask what a cicada is. It's usually one of the first things out of the box and get results. Asked a guy in scheels if they had any, he said he hadn't seen one in 4 years at the store.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of knock off's. I usually catch hammer handles with them so they don't see much underwater time.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a bait shop in devils lake that sells them, I have never used one but those perch can be finicky sometime or bite anything your put down the hole. Strikemaster have you had much luck with these types of lures in the past?

strikemaster8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunkerslayer, I've had really good luck with them. I only know of another guy that uses them. They make a "Johnson thin fisher" I think it's called, that they carry at scheels but it's not quit the same. I've been having to order them off the reef runner site

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was really confused with this being in the Turkey Hunting forum. Couldn't for the life of me think of what a Cicada was and how it related to fooling toms.

strikemaster8

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was really confused with this being in the Turkey Hunting forum. Couldn't for the life of me think of what a Cicada was and how it related to fooling toms.
Lol! It threw Tom, dick and harry for a loop the other day if that counts?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they're a staple on the mississippi for eyes. never have tried them myself

- - - Updated - - -

i think ive seen them at fleet farm. fyi

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are a good bait, I like one we used also in Ohio called a Vib"E" basically a Heddon Sonar knock off. Careful how you type that if ya google it.... getting the best results is all in the wrist, and by that I mean fishing it. Haha

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had 2 different sized cicada in my box for years never caught anything on them.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a guy catch about 8 walleyes and a 6 3/4 lb walleye on one this spring. That would have been impressive, but I caught about 40 walleyes and a 7 1/4 lb on a jig rap in the same boat on the same evening.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back 20+ years ago when I was a kid and people rarely did anything other than set tip ups and sit in the pickup they became a big deal. I can't remember seeing them working but someone had to catch something. I'm kinda surprised they still make them.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a definite knack to working them, getting the right flutter on the drop in particular. I think one of the main reasons they work so well back in Ohio is most of the lakes have an abundance of shad that are busy dying off in winter and if I guy can get that death flutter tuned in they work really, really well. I have a much lower success rate in lakes that are more shiner/minnow/smelt based.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62