Yellowstone River, Eastern Montana

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you western boys or eastern Montanans know much about the Yellowstone? Headed that direction for a hockey game and wouldn't mind getting some flies wet if possible. Headed to Sidney but willing to drive to Glendive and then go north on Montana 16 if there was something to fish. Appreciate any info.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here in eastern MT isn't really the Yellowstone you think of when you hear the name. Although fly fishing is possible and I have seen pike and sauger caught that way it's pretty rare to say the least. The traditional fly targets like trout really aren't in this stretch of river. I won't say one has never been caught this side of the intake diversion but it would surprise me if there was a legit record of one being reeled in. If you want to fish bring the lindy rigs. Edges are iced up but finding a spot isn't impossible right now.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just doing a test

Attachments

2016-07-12 14.46.10.jpg
Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read that the state shut down fishing along a large stretch of the yellowstone recently,huge fish die off,any updates?

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read that the state shut down fishing along a large stretch of the yellowstone recently,huge fish die off,any updates?

It was the stretch from YNP to Laurel. Its back open now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77