Arrow use after the kill

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you do with your arrows after the kill? Clean them up and change out the broadhead for more use, use it as a practice arrow, or retire it as a conversation piece or for safety reasons? Just curious.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hang them in the antlers.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I check the shaft for weaknesses by bending it and listening for cracks and pops that would indicate some of the carbon fibers are damaged. If I hear nothing, it gets cleaned, the broadhead gets sharpened, and the arrow is put back in the quiver.

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddies and I used to shoot gophers for practice. We shot the same arrows I don't know how many times into dirt and rocks. Give them a once over and keep on shooting.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I check them for cracks replace broad head and put back in quiver. When we were able to get extra doe tags I shot 4 deer with the same arrow one year.

Bowhunter13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep all my kill arrows on a bench, it's cool looking back how your arrows evolve over time!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I usually clean them up, inspect them, shoot them at a target a few times, replace the damage on the broad head and take them back in the field. I mark it somehow as it's a lucky one and I go right back to that arrow! :cool: They are way too spendy to just set aside.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I shot one bear that rolled over on my arrow and busted it. I didn't get a complete pass through as he was laying down at the bait when I shot him. Most of the time, you should get a complete pass through.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about after you shoot a bear? Are the arrows still in 1 piece?

Both of the bears that I have shot where pass throughs both arrow are still in good shape. I have both on a shelf right next to the one that I shoot my deer with this year.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen some pictures of arrow shafts all splintered up and through some poor bastards hands, like a fricken porcupine.

this image has me reluctant to even shoot any of my arrows one time...

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
best run I had with a arrow was 12 deer 6 bucks 6 does , just cleaned it , check straightness , replaced the blades and replaced the fletching a couple of times last doe I shot snapped it off , it now resides on a shelf in the living room 2315 alum

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77