Hubs on single axle deluxe fish houses, yeti ice castle etc

Tritonman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting closer to biting the bullet on a ice castle or something similar. Really thinking I want a smaller tandem axles though. My question is those of you with a sixteen to eighteen foot ice house have you bent or busted your hus and what kind of frame/axle did you have and on the flip side what has worked flawlessly.

Any problems with the yeti frames

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Grand Lodge(now called The Lodge) is a 16 footer(8x16) with a single axle and it has had no issues. Thing is built like a tank. It has two 3000lb axles and weighs about 4000lbs so you can haul up to about 2000lbs of crap in it as well.

http://www.team-lodge.com/teamlodge-extreme.htm

I got a good used one about 4 years ago.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
try to stay as light as you can inside the house... leave the xtras in the truck when moving...

the suspension on the bigger houses works pretty well, but be careful on washboard gravel and especially getting on or off the ice if it's rough...

when not traveling far, i would drop air pressure in tires to 15 to 20 psi to add some more suspension...

if not buying from a dealer or manufacturer, be careful... regular axle ratings don't really mean much if your axle is not stock and engineered... anyone can weld a different spindle on a tube and mount a 7k hub on it... standard bolt #'s mean nothing on anything home built... on anything used, i would crawl underneath and check for anything bent or new paint on welded seams...

aluminum is light, but weaker than steel... if you buy aluminum, take care not to overload...

spray foam is always worth the money if you can find it and swing the added cost... it increases racking strength 400%, and will not sag in the walls over time... be sure foam is closed cell and not open cell...

congrats, good luck, and have fun...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76