Hunting Western States

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I look ahead, I figure that I will have my mortgage paid off in 7 years and at that point will have a lot more expendable income to travel out west to do some big game hunting. I’d like to start preparing now by building preference points and doing some research to decide exactly what and where I’d like to hunt. However, a quick google search over the weekend showed me that this is a rather complex undertaking. Can anyone recommend a resource (book, web site, etc) that lays out information (tag costs, application deadlines, draw odds, success rates, etc) in a simple, easy to understand manner? Or any other advice as I begin this process? Thanks!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eastman's sets the standard. They used to publish everything in their magazines. Now, a guy needs to get the book.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eastman's sets the standard. They used to publish everything in their magazines. Now, a guy needs to get the book.

You can still get a lot of info out of the MRS section in Eastmans.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can still get a lot of info out of the MRS section in Eastmans.

A lot, just not all.

Remember, all the numbers Eastman's publishes is public data so anyone can get it by looking it up or asking the right question. But their subjective stuff, is where the best info is.

Savage, if you narrow down your focus, i.e. which species, which state, it becomes a lot easier than trying to digest everything.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would 2nd Eastmans and getting the book. It's worth the $50 to start learning how stuff works. I have tons of complaints about Eastmans but if you are new to western hunting and need to learn how it all works, it is a good resource.

Here's a quick rundown on the states.

Wyoming- Preference point system. Can buy points only. $50 for elk. $40 for deer. $30 for antelope. Can get into some good units for 2-5 points depending on each specie.

Arizona- Have to buy a $150 license to get into the game. Then costs $15 to apply for each species after that. Tags are tough to draw for the most part. Antelope tags are basically once in a lifetime. Depends on deer. Elk is 5-30 year draw depending on what you're going for.

Nevada- Bonus point system. Have to buy a $140 license to get into the points game. Then it is $15-20 to apply for each species. Can get some good archery tags for 3-6 points. Antelope maybe 5-15 points depending on what you apply for. Archery isn't too bad to draw. Elk is basically once in a lifetime. 10+ points to draw and if you draw and shoot an elk, you have to wait 10 years til you can even apply again.

Utah- Hybrid bonus and preference point system. I think it is $60 or $80 for the license and then I believe $10 to apply for each specie. Very tough tags to draw. Not that great of quality antelope for 15 year draw. Elk quality is great and maybe 10-20 year draw depending on what you apply for. Deer is tough to draw as well.

Colorado- Preference points. Buy a $60 license and then I think it is mostly free to get points for deer, elk and antelope. Tons and tons of options for both deer and elk in the 1-10 point range. Can easily hunt there every 2-3 years. Antelope is mostly a tougher draw for units with public land.

New Mexico- Straight up random draw. Have low non resident quotas and so tags are tough to draw.

Montana- A bit of a messed up system. Can build points but it isn't worth it unless you hunt there every year with the general tag. The general tag is a damn good tag though and you can get that every year. They've even had leftovers the past few years.

Overall, if you just hunt the general tag in Montana and build points in Wyoming and Colorado, you can do plenty of really good hunts every year. Also, South Dakota has good options too and points only cost $10 each.

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Overall, if you just hunt the general tag in Montana and build points in Wyoming and Colorado, you can do plenty of really good hunts every year. Also, South Dakota has good options too and points only cost $10 each.

Bingo! Start purchasing points next year and you will be sitting pretty in 7 years.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will start by saying south dakota sucks:cool:. I have found lots of great info on the rokslide forum. I think me and a buddy are going to go to idaho next year. Over the counter tags and just getting our feet wet in the pack in out thing.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Savage... Copy n save greenie's post to u. Great info from Greenie to know what it's gunna cost you upfront/ yearly to collect points. N start now collecting points for the ones u really want if don't have money for them all! Check out the full price of tag as well. Can't remember off hand or maybe Greenie mentioned it but I think some states u hafta send money for full price of tag even for preference points, but get it back minus point expense.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Greenie has good info.

Eastmans has always done a nice job but them and other publications are real unit killers when it comes to draw odds that's for sure.

The Huntin Fool does a nice job, maybe subscribe with a hunting buddy and split the cost of the subscription.

I've been in the pref point game for western states for almost 20 years so myself and my kids are setting good. Looking forward to my Utah LE elk hunt coming up soon.

If you have kids get them in the game as soon as you can. Some states have some crazy good deals for kids! The neb muley tag for instance. but shhhh ;)

Good luck!

Oh and for the price of pref point and the amount of time it takes to draw you might want to just buy a land owner tag in some states and get to hunting!

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all of the great information! That will definitely get me started!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell me more about Utah. I want to start "buying" points for elk. I currently buy in CO, WY and SD. I think Utah is a state I need to get points. Even if it takes me 20 years it sounds like it would be worth it.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell me more about Utah. I want to start "buying" points for elk. I currently buy in CO, WY and SD. I think Utah is a state I need to get points. Even if it takes me 20 years it sounds like it would be worth it.

Yea Utah has some great elk hunting but like you said, it will probably take 20 years to draw. If you have $100 or so laying around to apply there every year then I'd say go for it. I think Arizona is better though. Yea it is more expensive but you can go hunting more frequently.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71