Game cameras

grizzlyrider

Founding Member
Founding Member
After many good years of use, I am starting to question how well my arsenal of Moultrie m-80 cameras are working anymore. I have had very good luck with them in the past but I believe they are starting to get tired. I am planning on purchasing some new cameras this year, and am wondering what you all recommend. I have not paid much attention to cameras lately as mine have been working well. I am out of the loop on what is new, what is good, and what to avoid. I plan on purchasing upwards of six new cameras, and have started looking around on trailcam pro. I want a good dependable cameras, with good quality pics at a reasonable price.

What have you used recently. What have you liked, and what have you disliked.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my experience with different brands. Browning dark ops-so so. Blurry day and night pics if deer is moving. Had in a decent draw so not sure about wind pics. Primos 100 proof- really blurry night pics, day pics are decent. For $100 there's better out there. Wildgame innovations crush 6- decent cam for $70, blurry night pics, good day pics. Wildgame innovation x6 or something like that- good day and night pics, pretty sure it misses quite a bit of deer though. Cabelas black flash- don't bother spending $200, great pics but if wind, shadows, will fill a 8gb card in a day. Trophy cam HD- good pics but terrible with wind pics. Covert ir6- great cam. Not many wind pics, and clear pics day and night. Covert outlook 12- prolly my favorite cam. Great clear pics, wide angle pics so kinda gets the fisheye look but the pics day and night are crystal clear. Moultrie panoramic-great cam also. With the big view area of pics usually get sun glare on one of the frames in the pic. Moultrie 990i- great cam as well. Good night and day pics with little to no blur. I'm gonna stick with covert and moultrie cams as they seem the best for me. Might purchase a spartan 3G cam this winter as have seen pics and they seem good also. Hope that helps

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Covert MP5 and MP6 and dont look back. Still on my first set of cheap batteries (family fare, probably will be about done in next week or two) on all my cameras, and they were put out in August. Im sure good batteries would last well into the winter. Ive had nearly every camera that has been stated above, Covert will be the only camera I'm using for the next few years. You can find some deals on their website, I picked up a bunch for half price because of damaged packages, and they still came with full warranty.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look for something with a sub 1 second trigger speed. I am using the Moultrie 880 this year and really like them. my only complaint is the pictures don't upload well to an Ipad, but if you put them on a regular computer they turn out great.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the cameras what height do you guys usually set them up at. Advice for setting up cams anybody? Never played with em.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to mention 2 cams. Spypoint BF8-was a good cam until fire got it. Good day and night pics and not much for wind pics. Spypoint tiny 3- never did work good. Don't even turn on now. Haven't looked to see if firmware update though.
As far as height it all depends on the terrain. Flat ground I usually put them 3-4' off the ground

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good morning everyone! It feels like april out!

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought one of these from Gander Mountain for my dad for Christmas. Comes with everything which is nice. This is the first trail cam I have bought so we will see how it goes. I only paid $60 for it on sale so if its garbage I wont be out much.

Capture.jpg

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to mention 2 cams. Spypoint BF8-was a good cam until fire got it. Good day and night pics and not much for wind pics. Spypoint tiny 3- never did work good. Don't even turn on now. Haven't looked to see if firmware update though.
As far as height it all depends on the terrain. Flat ground I usually put them 3-4' off the ground

I've got a spypoint tiny D that did the same thing. Put new batteries in and it wouldn't turn on. What I found was that when the door on the bottom closed, the battery pack wasn't making a good connection. I found a very small twig to put in there and that solved the problem. This happened last year, this year, I have not had a problem with it and haven't had to use a twig under the door.

Could also be the prongs within the battery tray. I did have to bend a couple of those out to make a tighter connection with the batteries.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabelas has a flyer with some really good deals on cams as did best buy. Picked up a couple more Bushnell trophy can HD 12 mp for around $100. I've had very good luck with them. Years of dependable service.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/mp-e6/

i run 5 of these one i believe is the blacked out one with the screen, but i did one moultrie this fall and after 2 different cameras gave up and went back to my coverts, easy to use and take pictures while im not out in the trees, thats what i need, has really really good battery life and picture quality is good, so im sold been running covert for i think 4 years now, maybe only 3

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69