Insulated Bibs or Coveralls?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some insulated camo coveralls the are now kaput. Looking at replacement, maybe carhardt. The problem with coveralls is that movement is a bit restricted. Even though the last pair was "tall", it sucked to sit down in them. For this reason I'm considering bibs. Will I substantially lose heat preservation if I go to bibs and a coat?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I hate coveralls. As long as your jacket is tight fit on bottom the heat loss seems to be nill. And much more comfy. Plus if i get warm, easy to shed a jacket. Covies take 3 pry bars and a stick of butter to get off.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check Duluth trading. Doubt they have camo but I would bet they would make crouching easier. Their jeans are sweet for that. I could do lunges all day if I wanted to, but I don't.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the application for them?

I just picked up a pair of the Under Armour barrier bibs for bow hunting. They are awesome!!!!! Wind and water resistant and super warm.
And like Volmer mentioned you can shed a jacket when you get warm.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple pairs of Carhardts, some arctic extremes for whenever the snowpocalypse comes and some regular insulated ones for any other time. I like the ease of taking them off and putting them on. I do have a pair of fleece lined pants from cabelas that have become the standard for a day on the ice now.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Application? Late season pheasant hunting, snow blowing, late season bow hunting.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get "Volkswagen" and "Station Wagon" confused, as well as "Overalls" and "Underalls". The commercials for Underalls were on all the time and I'd get tongue-tied.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the Under Armour I bought I think would be great for snow blowing and late season bow hunting. For pheasants, I'm not sure how durable the material would be if you are walking through buck brush, or anything with thorns or burs. They definitely don't have the feel of carhardt, but they are warm, quiet and a pleasure to bow hunt in. I had them on yesterday morning with a temp of 14* where I was hunting. I was more than warm with them.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Application? Late season pheasant hunting, snow blowing, late season bow hunting.

No.

sweating-via-airplane.png

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coveralls are great if you prefer your own brand...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i remember being 12 getting my first pair of camo walls coveralls i also remember being 12 and freezing my ass off in those said overalls

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
i remember being 12 getting my first pair of camo walls coveralls i also remember being 12 and freezing my ass off in those said overalls

'Bout the same age I got a set of Blaze Orange Winchesters with Hollowfil 808. Sweat was immediate so don't stop walking until you're done for the day or you'd freeze.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used the insulated carhartt bib and jacket combo for just about every kind of hunting or fishing when it gets cold. They can be treated to be more water resistant, they're durable, and comfortable. I'm on my second set in about 10 years as I wear the combo almost every day in the late fall and winter checking my trapline, goose hunting, ice fishing, bow hunting, moving snow, or whatever. I'm fairly certain I won't be without a set on hand........ever.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a pair of overalls when I was a kid and didn't know any better. Have had several jobs that required being outdoors for extended(pretty much all day) and I have always wore bibs and will never go back. Never had an issue with heat loss and the comfort/functionality is so much better with bibs.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still rock the coveralls. However, I did lay down some heavy hints for ice fishing bibs for Christmas.....

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure I had the same ones.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bibs. Way easier to maneuver in them.

I also had a pair of Walls coveralls. Ok until it was cold, other words not very good.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will say I thought I was on top of the world when I got those walls. Being 12 and going hunting being cold was just part of the learning experience. Now older and wiser coat and bibs only way to go. I also had to use bread sacks to keep my feet dry I no longer use that technique either.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75