Diocese's posting of nun's trophy deer draws backlash

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A Roman Catholic diocese has taken down the Facebook photo of a nun with a 10-point buck she bagged after the posting drew criticism, some of it vulgar, by anti-hunting and animal rights activists, the diocese said. Sister John Paul Bauer killed the deer on Nov. 30, the first day of hunting season.
The photo posted on the Erie Diocese's Facebook page showed her, in her nun's habit, at the back of a pickup holding her trophy deer by the antlers. Initial comments were largely positive, Anne-Marie Welsh, spokeswoman for the Erie Diocese, in northwestern Pennsylvania, said Monday. But as the page neared 1.5 million views, animal rights activists began taking offense, she said. “We recognize that social media needs to be a two-way conversation, but unfortunately, many of those who oppose hunting posted vulgar comments, using profanity and even an obscene photograph," Welsh said. "After careful consideration, we decided to delete the post due to its inflammatory nature. “In a story about the hunt on the diocese's website, Bauer said she had just said the rosary up in a tree stand when deer appeared, and she killed the 200-pound buck. “After I realized I got the deer, I thanked God," she said. She said she views hunting as a spiritual endeavor and also a form of conservation, a way to help ensure that the deer population remains at a level that can be sustained by the land. She had the buck butchered for sausage and steaks and shared it with two families. She also took the 16-inch rack to a taxidermist for mounting.
Bauer teaches at Elk County Catholic High School in St. Mary’s, a city about 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, in the heart of deer and elk hunting country in Pennsylvania. She learned to shoot while in the Navy “In St. Mary’s, this is what you do. You go hunting. Everybody goes hunting," she told television station WSEE in Erie. She has killed three bucks and a bear during her 15-year hunting career. “When you're up on a tree stand, you're still, you're quiet. You listen. You watch as the frosty ground just becomes alive," Bauer told the TV station. "It's like creation all over."

sister3_0.jpg

Facebook is no place for a nun to post her deer photo on, should of put it on a website for Christian outdoorsman.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
My big question for the day or year even is: Why does anyone, anyone post anything on Facebook???
Are you lonely and want some "attaboys"??? It just amazes me. ;:;banghead Now I feel better.:;:sorry

why do u post on nodakngler? I post stuff on Facebook but it's only available to see by my "friends". When u post on nodakngler the whole world can see it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When people acknowledge these anit-hunting nuts with any type of response, it just gives them more power. I don't use dramabook but is there a way to just block them from seeing your site, or take down their unapropriate responses? The last thing I would do is take it down or acknowledge them. In fact, I'd just post more pics.

There was a guy on a site, not sure which one it was, but for every negative comment, he would video himself shooting another "innocent animal" he could of otherwise let live. He would narrate it, and call out the ones posting telling them if they had not posted what they had, he would not be shooting this porcupine right now. Kinda funny.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should make those anti's go down on that nun for being so mean.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is an article in this month's Outdoor Life about the importance of wild game and fish as a food source, pretty good read and it is a solid argument to promote the sport. There will always be whack jobs, every year when I lived in Athens, Ohio there was always a group of PhD nut jobs protesting deer season. Always nice to drive by with a truck load of fresh meat then.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last thing they should have done was take down that photo. You never cater to the antis. I would have posted more. Maybe a few pics of me butchering it as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62