Tying Flies

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, due to the lack of places to purchase any fly fishing stuff I am going to start tying flies. I'll have to just buy my lines online but I think I'll just tie my own flies.

Any pointers for a newbie?

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the Scheels in Bismarck sells the tying kits? We're going this Saturday.

Or should I just order one online? Their website isn't much help...

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skip Scheels, go to Dakota Tackle. I believe they have tying kits and they certainly have plenty of materials.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's right. Dakota tackle will have what you need in stock. If he doesn't, he'll probably get it ordered. I tie a lot of bucktails but haven't stepped foot into tying flies. I don't fly fish and they look incredibly intricate.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. Is Dakota Tackle open on Saturdays? I remember hearing great things about this Dakota Tackle store. Something to look forward to...

My guess is that it is going to be difficult and my back is gonna hurt from being hunched over a magnifying glass squinting but I need something to do to take my mind off of the boss-man. Thanks again!

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get my supplies from nature, cabellas, and craft stores.
I use quick dry nail Polish as head cement. Feathers fur and hair. Flashibu and chaneal.
It depends what type of fish your going after for what type of flys you tie. I go after pike and walleye so I make lil larger articulated fly's but I've made dry flies for trout, poppers for pannies, and I even tie leeches on my grandpas Jiggs he trolls with.(grammars glad for no more bait in the fridge).
I started with and still have a ten dollar vise. They make kits and one of the best prices of advice is talk with others and watch others tie. Those books and manuals can only tell you so much. Watch it happen and ask questions. And if you got any I'll do my darndest to answer. Lol be warned. Once you start is hard to stop. I've been tiring for a year and have even tied flies without a vice. Hard but not impossible.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you asked about Bismarck's Scheels, look for the Missouri Valley Fly Fishers Club. They used to have a website that told of their meetings and outings. Lots of very good tyers in that club that will be very happy to help you get started.
BUT, when we left western ND, that club seemed to slowly withering away. Dakota Tackle would know, they kind of sponsored the club.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out a website called Fly Fish Food. A couple of really solid guys from Utah make seriously awesome tutorials for more flies than you could care to tie. That website and just general YouTube videos are your go to. You'll learn by watching but more so by doing.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, lots of tutorials online. Watched 'em over and over and over.

Camoman, are you ever going to come over and get that maribou feathers? I still have them for you.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for that site camoman. I just bought a vise yesterday and I whipped up a couple jigs last night. They looked like crap but I caught some grayling and a few pike on them this morning! Flies will be next.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start saving the feathers from your ducks and geese as they will naturally keep a dry fly dry. Keep feathers from the other game birds you take including doves. Those small feathers from the head can make some very realistic insect wings if your in that mode. Squirrel and deer tails are nice as well. You can keep your initial costs down if you start experimenting with some of these natural materials instead of learning on the more expensive flashabou's, tinsels, and other synthetic stuff. Good Luck it WILL get addicting!!!

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, lots of tutorials online. Watched 'em over and over and over.

Camoman, are you ever going to come over and get that maribou feathers? I still have them for you.

Just thought about that today, JayKay, you are definitely still on my list to come see. Life's been busy, you know? Try to get over there this month! I'll let you know.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for that site camoman. I just bought a vise yesterday and I whipped up a couple jigs last night. They looked like crap but I caught some grayling and a few pike on them this morning! Flies will be next.

GRAYLING? Where are you catching those? They are a blast to catch. I made it my life's quest when I lived in CO to catch some and I did! Super cool! I also made it my life's quest to catch and Arctic Char there too but we moved before I could try too hard. There aren't many lakes in the lower states that have Arctic Char...

Thanks all for the pointers. We are getting ready to go to Bismarck now. Kinda wished I was fishing instead...;)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
GRAYLING? Where are you catching those? They are a blast to catch. I made it my life's quest when I lived in CO to catch some and I did! Super cool! I also made it my life's quest to catch and Arctic Char there too but we moved before I could try too hard. There aren't many lakes in the lower states that have Arctic Char...

Thanks all for the pointers. We are getting ready to go to Bismarck now. Kinda wished I was fishing instead...;)

Yeah......Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
In AK, ya I have it rough I know!! You probably don't want to know but I have a double mount at the taxi now; a 20 inch grayling and a 30 inch arctic char....

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Tackle was awesome! They have just about everything a fisherman would want up here. Met the owner too. Outstanding guy. He was great with the kids. He even sold my little two really pretty and really pink spoons. I'll be back for sure!

As far as having the fly tying equipment I was looking for he didn't have it. I guess it's either amazon or ebay for me. I need a starter kit to get me pointed in the right direction. That fly fish for food web site looks amazing too. Thanks guys for the help!

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only buy from them during a clearance sale, but Orvis has some nice tying equipment and supplies to look at for ideas. "Fly Fishing" magazine has a pattern every issue as well.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I ended up buying. I think it will be a good starter kit. Ran me about $60. I've also been on fly fish food almost every day. Great site for tying flies. Very detailed in their tutorials. I can't wait to start slaying toothy critters on the fly rod!

Capture1.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86