Dog tail - to bob or not to bob

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand why anyone would chop off a dog's tail. I mean, I understand the rationale, but that's one of a dog's best features. It's like a puppy jolliness amplifier. Take that level of happiness your dog is expressing and put it on a neon sign. That's what a tail does. My dog has a big meaty tail and it whacks everything and everyone, which I think is hilarious even if it annoys others. It makes most people laugh.

So... who here chops off your dogs happy meter?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

How could I deprive her of that thing? That's like plucking the tail feathers out of a peacock!!

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobbed my dogs, he is just a little stubber now.
he seems to not miss it at all, we have no regrets.

his name is milo(should be Bruce), and he can run 34mph, I think that extra length of tail would have slowed his sprint down. I ran him over with the ranger last winter, he runs even faster now, and knows not to stop dead in his tracks right in front of the ranger now too.

ever take a tail wag to the bean bag, effing sucks

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a fan of the tails too, yeah a pain at times but they tend to wag their arse less from what I've seen of a buddies dog

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched Guy's vid on Musterlanders. My thought the whole time was "better" dogs without the tail. It serves no purpose and bobbing eliminates many issues. Conversely, I'm against de-clawing a gd cat. De-clawing is mutilation as bobbing is sensible IMHO. Like what Lycan said.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a wirehair with a full tail. His name was Moose and he fit the name well. We also have a family friend that is just over the 5 foot mark. One fateful day, ole moose was excited to see our friend and his tail hit the 12 ring and down went our friend. Before Moose was gone, our friend had to back into the house to avoid the tail of doom.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own GWPs, both of whom have docked tails. I like it. They look gentlemanly, and still give a friendly wag that anyone can see. Best part is that wag won't knock you in the manhood, send full bottles of beer flying or make babies cry. Win-win-win.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own GWPs, both of whom have docked tails. I like it. They look gentlemanly, and still give a friendly wag that anyone can see. Best part is that wag won't knock you in the manhood, send full bottles of beer flying or make babies cry. Win-win-win.

First of all, WHO SETS DOWN THEIR BEER?!?!? Secondly, kids LOVE the tail when it's not hitting them in the face. Ever watch kids wrestle a loose garden hose that's flopping all over the place? Same convept, they just gotta catch it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not like most people have a choice. Breeders of certain breeds dock em. So, unless you prefer order it with tail attached, you are gonna get a tailless dog. I've never even seen a springer with its tail.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Labs use there tails when they swim like a tiller. not that they need it. I like the tail wag. Jess shakes her tail so hard her a** shakes.

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I'd like the Misses not to talk, but I never thought about taking off her vocal cords. Wait, now I have an idea......

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
tails are darn nice for some dogs (especially ones that arent yours/arent familiar with) as you can really tell when they get birdie by what their tail is doing.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not like most people have a choice. Breeders of certain breeds dock em. So, unless you prefer order it with tail attached, you are gonna get a tailless dog. I've never even seen a springer with its tail.

Exactly, plus picking out the burrs from a docked tail is fun enough thank you!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The breader left a inch extra on my current shorthair. He seen a white portion on the tail and though it may be handy to have a white flag. The tail curves a little where the extra was left --- but he was correct --- a very nice stump for pointing -- you can see it from a
mile.

Now with regards to leaving the entire tail on --- they say they take it off so it doesnt get all beat up when going through the grass. IDK if that is true or not. Sure great not having a tail wagging in the house knocking everthing down.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet all you tail-docking SOBs also don't grow beards or make your own sausage. WHY DO YOU GUYS HATE AMERICA?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67