Pfft...Bismarck fishermen...emiright??

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice Anglers Rescued

Two Bismarck anglers were rescued from a Kidder County lake last night, after they couldn’t get back to shore because the ice had heaved and melted away from the shoreline.

North Dakota Game and Fish Department district game warden Greg Hastings, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service warden Ben Cleghorn, and Stutsman County sheriff’s deputy Damian Hoyt used an air boat to reach the stranded anglers and transport them back to shore.

“This was a serious situation where everything turned out OK,” said Game and Fish enforcement chief Robert Timian, “and it’s also a critical warning that ice conditions can vary from lake to lake, and can even change during the day, depending on the weather. Anglers need to use extreme caution before venturing out on the ice right now.”

Warden Hastings received a call from state radio at about 7:45 p.m. yesterday, with information that two men were stranded on the ice at Round Lake near Pettibone, N.D. Hastings contacted Cleghorn, who picked up the airboat at Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge near Pingree.

Hastings periodically spoke by mobile phone with one of the anglers, letting him know they were on the way, and that the anglers shouldn’t move from their location.

The law enforcement officers arrived at the lake about 9 p.m., and the anglers were safely back on shore about 9:30 p.m.​

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I left Bismarck around 3pm yesterday, about 6 different guys on sweet briar, crazy bastards could see a layer of water ontop of the already thin weak ice.

I don't get that antsy to do crazy shit like that.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once again, thanks for the call, Juan.

it was a blitz run, left Dix at 6 am, had a quick 5 hour meeting, and blasted back for kid duty, as mrs johnr had some chick party last night at our house. A dozen woman drinking and playing reindeer games, me and the offspring went shopping, and had a nice Chinese supper. Turns out I am better at shopping for myself, as the Christmas list didn't get touched, but I picked up some ice fishing goodies.

next time I will come down the night before a meeting, and we can drink some ice cold busch lights and make fun of toby...haha

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Make it a Friday or Saturday night. I have a feeling it won't be a 3 Busch light kinda night.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck people shouldnt be allowed to fish east of Mandan... Just sayin.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is definitely water opening back up. saw 2 sloughs roughly 100+ acres in size with large enough open spots ( from 2-3 vehicle sized to 2-3 football field sized on the one) and it was quite apparent the waterfowl had found the water as well. drive by these everyday and had been froze solid just noticed the open water on the ride home tonight.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd feel more comfortable if you guys planned your trysts by PM.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So do little nancy boy named Francis!

- - - Updated - - -

Sitting here at just before 6 in the morning and our temps are in the 40's for over night lows. That is going to wreak havoc with the ice we have left. Wouldn't be shocked if we see more articles like this one before the weekend is done.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wonder how this pressure ridge set up? Have to think they could have just walked around it. Now with no lights and the ice booming can't blame them for not trying but this whole thing seems a bit blown out of proportion.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two VERY STUPID 18yo boys rescued. Again, typical teens not thinking about anything except the in-the-moment: fishing. They take risks and never consider the consequences, nor the sporting environmental conditions. That's like going elk hunting in Montana and not bringing a compass or food/water along for the trek. Seriously? They didn't consider 50+ degree day and the shallow water areas melting faster than the middle of the lake? UGGGGHHH

I'd so smack my kid across the head (just enough to engage his brain cells). Wake up, or you'll never be able to smell roses.

They better go out with 'daddy' a few more times to grasp these concepts....

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So going out and have the ice buckle between them and shore is something they should have thought of? Should they have had some way to light their way sure should they have got off the lake before pitch black absolutely but I've seen many many more far older men do far dumber things then what these "kids" did. How many of you have had the ice split apart between you and shore before? It's not exactly an every day thing outside of late spring. Would love to see how this ridge formed because a five foot leed is pretty huge especially taking into account the ice was not expanding when it happened. They were on 6 to 7 inches of ice later then they should have been without lights but to act like they are morons also seems a bit much.....well atleast for now who know what all we don't know about the situation. There will be a few people getting wet this weekend in all odds but to have what happened to them on that small of a lake that had no open water is pretty crazy and outside of what most people put on their list of things to be prepared for.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've all done dumb things; 99% of the time it ends up being harmless. Being out on 3-4 inches of first ice when there've been 40-60 degree highs for several days IN THE DARK would definitely qualify as dumb, this time they weren't so lucky, but in the end they were lucky.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing as for them being dumb kids....how many of us at 18 and bulletproof would have called 911 to send in the Calvary about our F-up before we pressed our luck on our own trying go around the leed another way in the dark of night without a light to try and sneak back home with noone the wiser? Has anyone been on that lake in the last few days to verify the six to seven inches they said they were on? Not saying what they did was smart in anyway but to me it sounds like they weren't stupid either. It's a rare beast indeed to find two young males who know their limits and when to ditch their macho persona and admit they need help! So I for one won't harp on them too hard unless some new info comes to light.

In the end we fish on ice and it doesn't matter when you do it ,danger is ALWAYS one step away. Risk has and will always be part of the ice fishing equation.....a guy just needs to learn when the outcome of that equation isn't tipping your favour. To me these kids did a couple dumb things but when the odds started to stack up against them they did all the right moves and to me that's the thing worth taking away from this.

All that shit aside this vary thing is why if when I go tomorrow I will have a small boat with just in case. And one or two guys all with picks and rope. Is it perfectly safe...of course not but in a demented way that's part of the fun

Oh and upyours these post were not ment to counter your point which I tend to agree with most of. It's an El Nino year which means every one of us is going to have to be on our tiptoes well past New Years. Now if we can them damn eyes to bite.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79