5.56 Greenball Ammo

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
So yesterday I came across a few hundred rounds of this stuff. They were tucked away in an ammo box from a former National Guard member. I know Obummer banned this stuff a year or so back, and I haven't done my google search yet, but is this stuff worth anything other than the going rate for ammo?

Looking in the box, it seems to be a few hundred rounds and they are on some type of metal clip. Stripper clips? Not sure, maybe someone with military experience can tell me what they are?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
uh I'm pretty sure that bs got shot down. I thought I just saw m855 at the store a week or two ago.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have. I don't own an AR so I'm not up to speed on if that ban went through or not.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
M855 NATO ball rounds are not banned and are nothing special, not armor piercing like the nimrods claim. Pretty much only good for target shooting and if you chrono some of the stuff you have there will be up to 200fps changes in different rounds. Burn it up and save the Lake City brass, you can gas up your own with way better performance than that "lowest bidder" stuff. Just my opinion after a long career in the Marine Corps shooting that stuff and tens of thousands of rounds downrange.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
@USMCDI

Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with this type of ammo at all.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
M855 NATO ball rounds are not banned and are nothing special, not armor piercing like the nimrods claim. Pretty much only good for target shooting and if you chrono some of the stuff you have there will be up to 200fps changes in different rounds. Burn it up and save the Lake City brass, you can gas up your own with way better performance than that "lowest bidder" stuff. Just my opinion after a long career in the Marine Corps shooting that stuff and tens of thousands of rounds downrange.

What he said^^^

If you're not in a pinch, sit on it, don't shoot it. Ammo prices will be going up shortly. Going rate for m855 right now is $.36 to $.40 per round. There is a little panic settling in right now because of San Bernardino. Combine that panic with the massive Black Friday sales. Distributors are dried up and you'll be seeing slimmer pickings on the shelf as retailers can't replenish. Depending on how long the drought lasts, you're looking at $.45 to $.80 per round within the next couple months.

Why am I not in finance?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've posed this question without reply a few times and appreciate the information. I know 855 shot great out of "my" M-4 (I "owned" it out of the cosmoline until retirement) and surmised the bullet would cause little fur damage. The inconsistency in velocity explains my frustration with a few zero groups and bolsters my side of the banter with a few range officers. (usually cut one hole--iron sight/1800 hold) Never had a problem on a real range and silhouettes in Nevada. For those not in the know, the Farce simulates distance with silhouette size at 25m. Usually found group sizes acceptable under "stress" and now believe a lot of my hits at the cute target were the result of fortunate inconsistency.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've posed this question without reply a few times and appreciate the information. I know 855 shot great out of "my" M-4 (I "owned" it out of the cosmoline until retirement) and surmised the bullet would cause little fur damage. The inconsistency in velocity explains my frustration with a few zero groups and bolsters my side of the banter with a few range officers. (usually cut one hole--iron sight/1800 hold) Never had a problem on a real range and silhouettes in Nevada. For those not in the know, the Farce simulates distance with silhouette size at 25m. Usually found group sizes acceptable under "stress" and now believe a lot of my hits at the cute target were the result of fortunate inconsistency.

+/- 200FPS @ 25M isn't discernable regarding POI shift, especially not under "field" firing positions.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Poop

- - - Updated - - -

maybe it was the three trigger weights

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What and where was the best black friday sale on green tip? Is green tip any better at penetrating body armor or the olson twins than standard FMJ rounds?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What and where was the best black friday sale on green tip? Is green tip any better at penetrating body armor or the olson twins than standard FMJ rounds?

no, it really doesn't penetrate any better than standard FMJ. M193 however beats the crap out of steel plates.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize this could go on and on:

The perception I get from the article is: A hit taken from behind a brick wall could be expediently doctored with tweezers, antiseptic and a bandage. "Carry in" dirt would be the major concern. I don't want personal experience. Anyways this definitely changes my perception of the green tip as a good fur preserving varmint round. It looks more like a deer killer.

If worms had machine guns birds wouldn't eff with them.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, lots of special forces use 9mm and it's not due to NATO or cost, it's because it serves the purpose they need it to serve, much like green tip.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So would you recommend 855 as a deer round within 200ds? I would.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So would you recommend 855 as a deer round within 200ds? I would.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I know it's not impossible to kill a deer with it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe a guy needs to us a HP or SP round anyhow. Based on conversations with another member, a .223 neck shot on an unsuspecting deer will drop it "right now."

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, FMJ is illegal for deer. I was being rhetoric. Those wounds and that gel test were not what I'd imagined for eons.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75