Geese

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still thousands and thousands of geese coming out on the north side of the big lake,about 75% are lessers.Hard to decoy.There must be thousands of big ones in canada yet?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're right. Most of the big B-52's are not here yet. Quite a few 8 lb. prairie cacklers still here. We are on the south side of lake sak and west side of river. Doing well considering the nice sun shiny days.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys are in the wrong flight path then. we have a crapload of airbus A380s coming off of devils lake right now. they look like they could beat up an unsuspecting black lab that tried to retrieve the wrong one. we had 7-8 of them land in our decoys last friday night. they were absolute giants. wish we could've shot them. everyone of them deserved to be dangling from someone's ceiling or wall. but, we've always seemed to have more greaters than lessers in these parts.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone come down to twin lake and jump the roost. So the lake can freeze I want to go ice fishing.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
They didn't come off the water on Sunday, at least not to our field. Very disappointing end to the season but was still better than sitting around watching football.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of geese around.Had a good migration on Fri from the north.LOTS of hunters too.Ask permission on 5 different fields they all said no.Seen a pretty good heard of snows by washburn sat,what the hell r they still doing here.Almost all the ducks left the river when the snow hit.Most of the geese are on the big lake.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The geese I have been watching the last few days aren't coming off the water until 3:30-3:45pm. Makes for a long day in the blind.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty around; plenty of hunters. One group I talked to said they could see 6 other spreads from where they were set up. Lots of big shoots over the weekend though. Tough getting on land, I'd rather walk for roosters than run around trying to get on a field this time of year.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a time, and it wasn't that long ago, that there was virtually no one hunting waterfowl after deer season. I hate what waterfowl hunting has become.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a time, and it wasn't that long ago, that there was virtually no one hunting waterfowl after deer season. I hate what waterfowl hunting has become.

Agreed. What's worse is that most that have taken up waterfowling are in it strictly for the blasting. I would bet money there is a lot of wasted meat from ducks and geese from these types. I am a firm believer in using the meat harvested from wild game out of respect for the animal as well as to the sport of hunting in general. I can't count how many times I hear people say how much they love to shoot waterfowl but hate eating them. Fergin dumb.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. What's worse is that most that have taken up waterfowling are in it strictly for the blasting. I would bet money there is a lot of wasted meat from ducks and geese from these types. I am a firm believer in using the meat harvested from wild game out of respect for the animal as well as to the sport of hunting in general. I can't count how many times I hear people say how much they love to shoot waterfowl but hate eating them. Fergin dumb.

I'd guess that 9 out of 10 birds that get shot go to waste. I bet some go directly in the dumpster or ditch, but a majority sit in a freezer only to be thrown out before the next season arrives. I see some of these guys' hero shots and I don't care what you say you are doing with them, but some single college kid cant possibly consume 100+ big geese in a year. If they tell you they are eating them all, then do the math. I'd be willing to call them a liar.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
They may be breasting them out and donating them to hunters for the hungry or similar projects. Of the 76 I shot last year, I only have about 3 lbs of goose summer sausage left. The rest has been consumed. The stuff from this year is destined for the grill as I only downed 37. It was a tough year for this guy getting them in close. It was still fun and I do enjoy the sunrises one is privileged to witness.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aren't goose pits for to bury your geese in?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found the ducks down here coming off tonight at about 3:30 can't hunt till Friday hope they stick around.

IMG_20151220_163134132_HDR.jpg

Had to try the new phone skope out and get a few pics I am going to like this thing

- - - Updated - - -

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard quite a few Canadas this evening while ice fishing Tobacco Garden. I love to waterfowl hunt and went a good 5 years only hunting a couple days since we were low on time and cash to spend on perks like that. Was thrilled to move up here in 2013 and finally made it out to hunt a few days this fall. Last fall, when the fam and I were in the school house in WC, I took trash out to the dumpster and found 3 of the giant ziplocs full of duck and goose breasts, perfectly fine- cleaned and rinsed and not even a hint of spoilage; walked back to the trailer for my phone to take pics and call a warden and the garbage truck beat me getting back. I was pretty pissed, still couldn't go and some jackwagon wasting what he shot.

Kurtr, hope they stick around for you, pretty sight pic.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's going to be a long week waiting. My kid is hoping we get some he wants more duck kabobs we have ate the duck and goose as fast as I have been able to shoot them this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67