fur prices

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone no what furs are bringing this year for yotes,coons, and rats on the carcass and skinned. I know prices vary depending on how you handle the animals after harvest and if they are shot up or not just looking for a ball park price on what a guy can expect. Thanks

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coyotes $0-$60 on the carcass, average probably around 25-35, and you won't need all the fingers on one hand to count how many they pay 60 for. I wouldn't take less than 80 on anything put up that's decent until after the first auction at the end of January. Actually I would take $75 nose count on everything I have put up right now. Coons aren't worth skinning unless you want to have them tanned and make blankets or mittens. Not sure on muskrats yet but I would expect around 2-5 put up, .50-4 on the carcass.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
i quit posting fur prices on forums.
people hear of a certain fur going for good $ and all of a sudden....BAMMM. tire tracks around every slough

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
people hear of a certain fur going for good $ and all of a sudden....BAMMM. tire tracks around every slough

So your saying yotes are bringing good money this year?

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member

Agreed but this should discourage alot, top price this year out a hell of a lot of dogs shot was 45 bucks on the carcass, that was for ONE that was head shot, kind of an orange one and it went to hell from there. Got 5 bucks for a lot, 15 for most and a few that were missing a few guard hairs on the hips that I couldn't sell. Last year I sold everything to Petska Fur, this year I sold to Hansen Fur and a few others mainly all out out of SD. Needless to say I'll be building a skinning shack inside a quonset this summer. I really could give a shit what the prices are we're still going for triple digits every year and I didn't break $20.00 for an average this year. I really want to hear what the weights are if anyone weighs them, I keep a scale hanging from our dead pole, this year out of a lot of dogs the heaviest was 41 lbs.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The kid tipped a pretty good one over in a little draw right across from the house that was 46.8 on our digital scale in the meat shack. He was noticeably deeper chested than the others we had. We got two more that were 40 and 42. Usually don;t get many even pushing 40.

The kid said he still had pheasant feathers on his mouth when he shot it.

we have also found the remains of 11 deer while looking for sheds so the ones around here have been eating good.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
The kid tipped a pretty good one over in a little draw right across from the house that was 46.8 on our digital scale in the meat shack. He was noticeably deeper chested than the others we had. We got two more that were 40 and 42. Usually don;t get many even pushing 40.

The kid said he still had pheasant feathers on his mouth when he shot it.

we have also found the remains of 11 deer while looking for sheds so the ones around here have been eating good.

That's a tank, aside from the 41 pounder most of mine were around 25-30 lbs. The local Fed trapper told me it was a coywolf, I think he smoked something that day but I could be wrong. I had a wolf around a few years ago and that thing had to be pushing 100 lbs, all black looked like a furry black lab running around with a head like a basketball.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
It is the biggest one we have ever gotten. He even looked big, should have measured around his chest. The last two years we haven;t gotten any even close to 40 maybe 36 or 7. Guessing the easy winter and lots of deer had something ot do with it. Shot 22 within two miles of the place but then we had over 400 deer hanging around till lately.

I have a friend across the line in Canada that gets a few over 40 each year. But then there is more cattle and less pressure up there. A few years back another friend shot one in a contest up in the hills that was 49 lbs..........got beat by one that was just over 50 for biggest dog.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy hell, that 50 pounder would not get sold or anything over 40, they're long and make some damn nice coats. Got an old timer here that makes some nice coats for free if I give him enough good ones for him to make one for himself every year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
All my expenses were covered by what I got for my fur so I'm going to call that a WIN for this year. I think if I took my fur check and figured out my hourly wage, I think I made about 17 cents an hour after expenses. LOL!! Still going to do it again next year. Got 15 this year on all NEW NEW NEW ground, so they had the upper hand on me this year. Next year.........look out!!!!!

Forgot: Biggest was 38, smallest 22.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79