Mother Nature can be such a BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched this deer last night and got a knot in my stomach while doing it. Didn't set well with me and I DON'T like watching NATURE take it's course sometimes. She pisses me off at times and being a spectator SUCKS sometimes. That's about all I want to say about it. (rant over)

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer has mud on it's feet. We had rain and snow melt and the top half inch of dirt is snotty muck. She has normal feet as far as I could tell, but doesn't walk right and is bone ass skinny. She only took a few mouths of corn and then walked away and wobbled around off camera. I don't know what's wrong with her, but she looks like she's starving to death with mountains of corn, alfalfa, soybeans, garden leftovers, and every other food source the Sheyenne River valley has to offer.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you take a deer and feed it nothing but corn before the gut is up for processing pure carbs this often happens. Back when the game and fish used to have large feeding sites it wasn't uncommon to see a few deer like that. Buy a few alfalfa bales is the best shot to help it if there isn't an underlying condition. But with you having done that perhaps she needs some lead in her diet.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The deer has mud on it's feet. We had rain and snow melt and the top half inch of dirt is snotty muck. She has normal feet as far as I could tell, but doesn't walk right and is bone ass skinny. She only took a few mouths of corn and then walked away and wobbled around off camera. I don't know what's wrong with her, but she looks like she's starving to death with mountains of corn, alfalfa, soybeans, garden leftovers, and every other food source the Sheyenne River valley has to offer.

I see... Maybe just old and worn out. As you said it's nature which is usually neat but not always.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both "Old" and cancer are possibilities. Just plain sucked to watch!!!!

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you take a deer and feed it nothing but corn before the gut is up for processing pure carbs this often happens. Back when the game and fish used to have large feeding sites it wasn't uncommon to see a few deer like that. Buy a few alfalfa bales is the best shot to help it if there isn't an underlying condition. But with you having done that perhaps she needs some lead in her diet.

Over consumption of a high carbohydrate feed like corn results in accute accidosis . Deer do not waste away such as this deer is from acute accidosis, they die quickly.

Deer are natural browsers and as long as there is other feeds/browse avaliable such as the case here according to KDM they will not over consume one feed such as corn. It is in hard winters when there is little else to browse they over consume and death results from accidosis.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd contact the GNF. They might want to put it down and check for disease.

Called the G&F several years ago about a little buck we found hauling hay in Sept. that had been hit by a car (guess) and had two broken legs. 4 days later a warden showed up in the yard to take care of it wondering where it was at. Went over couldn;t find it.

I no longer let an animal suffer.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd have assisted her on the spot instead of letting it haunt my conscience. betting you did Thumbs Up :) (this is what you mean, right?)

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over consumption of a high carbohydrate feed like corn results in accute accidosis . Deer do not waste away such as this deer is from acute accidosis, they die quickly.

Deer are natural browsers and as long as there is other feeds/browse avaliable such as the case here according to KDM they will not over consume one feed such as corn. It is in hard winters when there is little else to browse they over consume and death results from accidosis.

- - - Updated - - -

Called the G&F several years ago about a little buck we found hauling hay in Sept. that had been hit by a car (guess) and had two broken legs. 4 days later a warden showed up in the yard to take care of it wondering where it was at. Went over couldn;t find it.

I no longer let an animal suffer.

Yeah one instance should determine all future decisions.:::

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
While it's certainly no fun to watch, deer are TOUGH. In no particular order that deer could've been: Grazed by a bullet. Grazed by a car. Have a disease/sickness. Been caught down on/in the river unable to extract itself for some time, perhaps the recent thaw is the only thing that allowed it to escape the river. Caught in a fence. Scratched by a fence/fencepost/old piece of machinery that induced some infection. Or a couple hundred other things that could've worn it down, but that it will survive with a little time and nutrition.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shitty deal mabey with a little luck if she's not sick she will put on some weight. It sucks to see an animal like that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77