Air Rifle Recommendations?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am about to mail my letter to Santa at the North Pole. I have been thinking I wouldn't mind having an air rifle of sorts at our Mn lake lot during the summer. Keep the critters and varmints that may prowl our 3 acre piece of paradise at bay. We have neighbors to the east and west of us..maybe 50 yds one way and 100 the other. I think I would only be using it for like 50 yd shots but who knows..I may enjoy target shooting with the thing whilst I am enjoying a beverage on my camper deck(in moderation of course:cool:).
What say you on what might be a good fit for this application so that I can finish my letter to Santa? Scope?
Thanks!!!!!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably break barrel but not married to that option. Price range... for what I would be using it for I think I should be able to get a fairly decent one for under the $200 price point. Maybe not.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get a springer. In fact, get a bolt .22 and shoot CCI CB Longs or Quiet Frangible. Way less hassle, "recoiL",weight and noise than a springer,

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
what about this? why or why not? im just talking squirrels and a wandering skunk on occasion.Gamo Whisper Silent Cat Air Rifle

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Diana 34 advertised at 1000fps. It weighed 9lbs without a scope. It wouldn't shoot within a quarter at 25 until I bought a tin of 9.5gr RWS SuperMags from Cabela's or on line. It kicked almost as hard as a 2 1/2 .410 and breaking the bbl for every shot became BS. You will have these issues and a bit more IMHO with a Gamo (Gamo quality not on par with RWS/Diana IMHO). Don't be fooled by all that speed and pig killing. They are lucky to group minute of pig's head at 25 using pellets which achieve advertised velocity. The technique for "accurately" shooting a springer is more akin to shooting a bow than a firearm. You don't grip it, you support it to allow for complete vibration. In my fantasies they would be very popular with naughty suburban divorcees. The sensation/noise upon firing is similar to an AR..."booiinnng".

For the same or less jack you could get a used Marlin or Savage long bbl (longer is quieter) .22 and a decent optic without worrying about a Leupold or specific airgun scope: You would reduce weight and noise, not worry about the gun being cocked too long (reduces spring strength); have ability for quick repeat shots and ample energy for close range feral cats, etc (head shot).

A caveat: These rds may triple the energy of a "common" pellet and ALL precautions concerning a backstop MUST be applied as evidenced with the above posted vid. It's quite sobering to hear the strike of the firing pin then a ricochet whine like in a Western movie. I would definitely recommend the Segmented Quiet over other choices. The 40gr bullet may be more likely suited to common .22 twist over the 29 in the CB. I can keep CB's in a nickle at 25: I haven't shot the Quiet stuff yet. The advertised velocity is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qE-m-MMx8

Last edited:

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest going to a good airgun forum such as gatewaytoairguns.org They know it all LOL Just don't go with a cheap one if you want to be happy. I like the German airrifles such as the hw95 and there is a heck of a deal on them right now for $300

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need to add: The suppressor is bullshi'ite on the Gamo unless it somehow reduces the projectile to sub-sonic. Also need to add: 9lbs may have been exaggerated but it had much more heft than a common .22.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mini dream air rifle is the Marauder .25 caliber from Benjamin. It is a PCP rifle and is 500 plus bones, but is pretty damn cool. I will have one when I decide the timing is right. Who has a .25 caliber pellet gun?

They also make a .25 springer in the Trail NP. FYI

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
For flatter shooting the 177 is probably the best for squirrel size game in a springer but if you go into the pcp's anything is game. They get into some big bores but with them you would probably want to get the compressor to fill and scubatanks-or just go with a powder burner-lots cheaper

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pneumatic guns are more friendly to traditional shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifyGT7-4yeE

- - - Updated - - -

So...after my posts you can see the airgun is the tool of the middle class in the web of communism. Get an 880 or American Benjamin.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A super accurate PCP in .22 Cal would be my first squeeze if I was dipping my toe. Too bad most of them are high end.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you ever shoot a .22 air gun you will find .177 to be a bit of a joke.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you think 177 is a joke? I shoot both 177 and 22. Mine are all the higher end though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62