Vortex Viper ps-t versus hs-t

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone have any input or experience with both? looking for one to put on my coyote gun but can't really decide.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have experience with either, but may I ask what level of magnification you're considering?

SDMF knows a whole bunch about Vortex optics. LOVES them.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two vortex optics and have the pst on my coyote and pd gun. Very happy with both. With the pst you get more reticle options but I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
2016 word on street is an upgraded pst or a new hunting scope with razor glass. I have used both but I went the vortex hslr route with the xlr reticle and love it. They give me that scope with razor glass I would be ecstatic. Also you looking ffp or sfp.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking either 4-16 or 6-24. I'm starting to get comfortable shooting longer distances with my 7 mag and I have a 6-24 scheels scope on it. I'd like to get my coyote gun set up for it so I can get practiced up to do it with that too. I don't want to get another scheels 6-24 because the eye relief is horrible on it.
I'm thinking SFP just because I don't really like to rush my shots. I like to range and dial in so I'm not worried about the retical hash's being the same on all magnifications. (I hope i'm thinking of that the right way).

The way it looks to me is the PST has a little bit better glass and also a battery powered illuminated retical... that being said, I can get the 6-24x50 PST for $649 (demo model from cameralandNY) or I can get the 6-24x50 (brand new non demo) for $639. just having a hard time deciding

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought the Viper PST 4-16x50 for 599 about an hour ago at Sheels for my 22-250
Compared to a few other scopes in that price range and I liked this one the best just handling in the store.
Still waiting for the bases and rings. Hope to have it set up after Christmas

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking either 4-16 or 6-24. I'm starting to get comfortable shooting longer distances with my 7 mag and I have a 6-24 scheels scope on it. I'd like to get my coyote gun set up for it so I can get practiced up to do it with that too. I don't want to get another scheels 6-24 because the eye relief is horrible on it.
I'm thinking SFP just because I don't really like to rush my shots. I like to range and dial in so I'm not worried about the retical hash's being the same on all magnifications. (I hope i'm thinking of that the right way).

The way it looks to me is the PST has a little bit better glass and also a battery powered illuminated retical... that being said, I can get the 6-24x50 PST for $649 (demo model from cameralandNY) or I can get the 6-24x50 (brand new non demo) for $639. just having a hard time deciding

Then when you hold wind you have to make sure your mag is right. Also make sure the mag ring matches so you know the reticle is calibrated. That is a good deal on the pst. Are you going to run mil or moa either way I like the ebr 2c reticle. Not saying ffp is better but now that I use it don't know I would want to go back just easier for me. I would get the demo from Doug you won't be able to even tell it is a demo. The zero stop is a shim system which serves its purpose. It has been said alot the glass on the 6-24 are noticeably better than the 4-16 and with the ones I have looked at I agree with that. They have sfp hslr that might be nice to exposed elevation and capped windage. I like mine better than both the pst and hst.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just ordered the 6-24 pst demo that they had. it has the ebr-1 MOA retical. should be here in a couple days. no matter what it I think i'll be happy with it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't get my brain in a low enough gear to buy ANYTHING marketed by Vortex.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't like quality and good customer service.

I don't like paying 10x more than some POS is worth in order to fund their "outstanding" warrantee. You can't possibly believe that they offer that warrantee because they build such a superior product that you'll just never have to use it? Polished dogshit.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only used warranty when some one sat on my spotter and broke it. The number one used scope on the prs circut is the razor and those Guys don't use shit that breaks. Know what the scope with the most failures is at rifles only leupold Frank and Jacob both have stats that back it up. The razor is more American made than anything leupy has and its not 1995 any more times are changing and they aren't. Burris,Bushnell,Weaver,swfa, amongst a host of others have given people options and choices. I will put my hslr up against any thing leupy has to offer in the under 1000 and under category and the razor against any thing they offer. Frank has videos of them being built in Wisconsin I can post again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I saw 2/Schmidt and benders break this year so shit breaks that is a part of life when stuff gets taken out and ran hard.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME the 6-20/24 powerish scopes have burned me in the past. If a dog comes charging in, it makes it a lot harder to pick them up in your reticle close range on 6 power. I won't use them anymore. 4-14 powerish scopes work better IMO and 14 power is more than enough for longer shots. I prefer the exact opposite for pdogs though........can't get enough.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only used warranty when some one sat on my spotter and broke it. The number one used scope on the prs circut is the razor and those Guys don't use shit that breaks. Know what the scope with the most failures is at rifles only leupold Frank and Jacob both have stats that back it up. The razor is more American made than anything leupy has and its not 1995 any more times are changing and they aren't. Burris,Bushnell,Weaver,swfa, amongst a host of others have given people options and choices. I will put my hslr up against any thing leupy has to offer in the under 1000 and under category and the razor against any thing they offer. Frank has videos of them being built in Wisconsin I can post again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I saw 2/Schmidt and benders break this year so shit breaks that is a part of life when stuff gets taken out and ran hard.

If I'm looking for something "razor-esque", I'm buying Nightforce. If I'm looking for a scope to go on a sub 9# hunting rifle, I'm searching for a pre-VX series Leupold in 6x42, 3.5-10, or 4.5-14.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt say that vortex is polished dogshit haha. Lots of people like it. I have never tries the scopes but have used the spotter and binos. They arent bad at all. I think the price tag is pretty high on the razor stuff though, especially with the killer deals a guy can find online for leica and swaro equipment.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of each of the Vortex your talking about. I like the 4X16 Viper PST with minute of angle reticle. I bought the Razor 10X42 binocs and like them also. I liked them enough to dump nearly all of my Leupolds. Even dumped the two mark IV. The only two I have left are early 1980's tacticals. Those are very good scopes. I wouldn't put anything post 1995 Leupold on anything. I don't know what happened to them, but on one of my rifles my old 1977 cheapest model Bushnell outshot the Mark IV. One and a quarter inch vs one third inch. If your rifle doesn't shoot well it's as good a chance it's the scope as the rifle. That old beat up Bushnell is my go to for testing my rifle before I touch anything else.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

None of that means jack-shit to me without also knowing who's buying their own and who's on the dole. Simmons advertised their way to the "top" of popularity at least, in the late 80's through the early 90's. Nikon advertised and sponsored their way to popularity in the late 90's and through most of the 1st decade of 2000's.

Like I said, when I'm buying boat anchor heavy scopes, I'll buy Nightforce. When I want a scope for a hunting weight rifle, I'll procure a pre-VX series Leupold. When someone shows me a scope of similar weight, durability, repeatability, with a similar forgiveness in eyebox/eye relief, with a custom shop that'll put nearly any reticle I want into nearly any of their scopes at a reasonable price and in a reasonable time-frame, then I'll have a WHOLE BUNCH of Leupolds for sale. This is but a sample of the last batch I sent in for turrets and/or reticle swaps:

IMG_0190.jpg

I find comfort in knowing VS. guessing or having to read about what someone else has done.

I've "broken" 2 Leupolds. Dropped 1 hard enough to bend the M-1 elevation spindle. 2nd standard hunting turrets, I dropped it from the shooting bench down onto the concrete right onto the elevation adjustment. It still held 0 but didn't track well after that. Both fixed @ no charge despite my negligence. I sent in an OLD Vari-X II 4-12x40 for a turret, they called me and let me know it was buggered up ( I'd bought it used and hand't used it on anything yet) and that they'd be replacing it with a brand new one but still needed to charge me for the turret upgrade. $90 for a ~30yr newer scope with the elevation turret installed seemed like a fair enough trade to me.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My new vx6 leupy eye relief isnt as good as my z3 swaro scope and the glass isnt even comparable to the swaro. Down side to the z3 is the turret range is more limited due to the zero stop but the zero stop is nice so you dont go back beyond zero. Leupolds shoot straight though and are very reliable. Downside is the glass quality compared to high end scope makers that now have scopes priced comparably to leupold. All this being said, buy what you like its your money haha.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
None of that means jack-shit to me without also knowing who's buying their own and who's on the dole. Simmons advertised their way to the "top" of popularity at least, in the late 80's through the early 90's. Nikon advertised and sponsored their way to popularity in the late 90's and through most of the 1st decade of 2000's.

Like I said, when I'm buying boat anchor heavy scopes, I'll buy Nightforce. When I want a scope for a hunting weight rifle, I'll procure a pre-VX series Leupold. When someone shows me a scope of similar weight, durability, repeatability, with a similar forgiveness in eyebox/eye relief, with a custom shop that'll put nearly any reticle I want into nearly any of their scopes at a reasonable price and in a reasonable time-frame, then I'll have a WHOLE BUNCH of Leupolds for sale. This is but a sample of the last batch I sent in for turrets and/or reticle swaps:

IMG_0190.jpg

I find comfort in knowing VS. guessing or having to read about what someone else has done.

I've "broken" 2 Leupolds. Dropped 1 hard enough to bend the M-1 elevation spindle. 2nd standard hunting turrets, I dropped it from the shooting bench down onto the concrete right onto the elevation adjustment. It still held 0 but didn't track well after that. Both fixed @ no charge despite my negligence. I sent in an OLD Vari-X II 4-12x40 for a turret, they called me and let me know it was buggered up ( I'd bought it used and hand't used it on anything yet) and that they'd be replacing it with a brand new one but still needed to charge me for the turret upgrade. $90 for a ~30yr newer scope with the elevation turret installed seemed like a fair enough trade to me.

I know 2 that are sponsored. People would not use them if they didnt perform.It's nice having a scope you don't have to send in as it comes how it should. This is interesting test on scope tracking.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...es/13865031-killswitch-s-scope-tracking-tests

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71