Upper Red Lake news~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well,another ice season is upon us and we have a few knuckle heads that just gotta be the 1st one's on ice for a few small walleyes for bragging rights (damn slots),4"-6" of ice and a big front with strong winds= disaster~This post is for the few that travel over here for walleyes,it will get worse if they get the 6"-8"'s of snow tonight.

RED LAKE, Minn. (Valley News Live) - The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) confirms with Valley News Live they are involved in a rescue on Red Lake.
Lt. Phil Seefeldt with the DNR says his department, along with fire crews, are rescuing several people stuck on a sheet of ice that broke away from the shore on the south side of the lake.
An airboat was being sent to the lake to assist in the rescue. No word on how many people were being rescued.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup 50 people rescued already. I agree, dumb that they were out, but equally dumb the resorts are letting folks use their access. Charging $20 a head and this stuff happens...lawsuit waiting to happen!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I floated one year on mille lacs and we were on foot,scary deal,strong wind picked up early morning,I was the rookie that year ice fishing 1992,huge sheet of ice would rear up several feet high then sink,I was as nervious as a whore in church and the crew I was with just laughed until they seen open water between us and shore 1 mile out.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
13 inch walleye versus dropping a $40-$70,000 truck in the drink???? hummmm what to choose, what to choose?

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was planning on a trip up there the 26th, but i don't think its gonna happen now. Not unless we get -20 for the next 2 weeks anyway.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
my brother was on the lake over the weekend and where he was was a good 5 inches of good ice but there was a ridge and he said no wind while they were there, they were on north side of lake and he thinks the rescues were on the south side.
dukgnfsn

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup,rescue folks launched hover craft out of rogers resort,south shore.

Update~

Yesterday during the cold weather our two bridged areas opened up making a crack 100 yards wide and quite long. We are closing our access this week through the weekend. Our campsites and bar remain open and Portavilla is renting units out in the dirt. We are recommending guests go to Jrs Corner just down the road. We are discounting our campsite fees to accommodate Jrs road passes. Jrs is currently allowing foot & wheeler traffic and this is subject to change. Rental fish houses & wheelhouses will not be allowed out of Rogers until after the 25th of Dec. We will keep you posted as things change.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76