guy's ice fishing hack #276: Anchoring with Eskimo Anchors

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that have (or will buy) the Eskimo anchors. Pick up an Eskimo drill adapter and couple it to an old bit brace grandpa has in his garage.

It even nestles into the Eskimo Anchor bag like it was designed that way.

2015-12-12 16.10.27.jpg

You're welcome. :cool:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
best investment i have made but i have mine paired with the dewalt i bet i could go to the pawn shop and find that old hand drill

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they call the old "high torque" hand drill varieties a "bit brace" - something I did not know when I started looking for one

I think that odd bit brace name allows that it not be confused with this contraption
071817.jpg

(hand drill - which wouldn't have the torque IMO)

- - - Updated - - -

Where are hacks #1 thru #275?

:;:huh

scattered throughout FBO and NDA history (there's only about 10 of them actually - the other 267 were sheer exaggeration - I AM a fishermen after all :;:howdy).

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any reason a guy couldn't attach that to a 1/4" bit impact driver?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell no. I just steal others ideas. I'm not inventive that way. I feel hacked due to not getting the other 275 ideas:D

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I was originally going to get a "speed wrench" and then I realized a guy has to push down really hard - and that would suck without the nice big round pad on the end. The wood of a bit brace would also be warmer. And then I realized the bit brace is actually designed to hold the angled hex shape of the Eskimo converter

Also - I was thinking I'd have to epoxy or tape everything together so they don't get lost if I bought a speed wrench so I looked for a bit brace and found one and tested it successfully - on wood anyway

10591.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I can't recall the size but I took the Eskimo adapter to Northern Tool and it is the standard "big" hex driver size. It is either a standard or metric (can't recall) but there IS a socket that is the same dimension as the hex on the Eskimo adapter so you could get a 1/4" socket to make any 1/4" driver deliver the anchors. At that point it seems like those extra bits/pieces would get long and gangly (and taping/epoxying it all together or some such would be a drag)

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the eskimo anchors were supposed to go in easily without the aid of a tool? I have the clam anchors and they are horrible. I cant get them in the ice without using my cordless drill and adapter. Not the end of the world but just one thing to bring along and make sure the battery is charged.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Eskimo anchors do go in without a tool... but not nearly as fast as with a tool. I agree - the non-Eskimo anchors are nearly impossible by hand.

The Eskimos are the real deal with needle-sharp tip with "cutters" that look like a threading tap.
Very "mountain climbing technical gear" look and performance to them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure this hand-powered system would deliver your clam anchors.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the eskimo anchors were supposed to go in easily without the aid of a tool? I have the clam anchors and they are horrible. I cant get them in the ice without using my cordless drill and adapter. Not the end of the world but just one thing to bring along and make sure the battery is charged.

i had to beat the clam anchors in with a wrench to get them to start

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo anchors with the adapter on a cordless drive is the way to go

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108