Ice Fishing Standards?

Beckler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering if you guys lower your standards for size of the fish you would get mounted in the winter?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope. It's not about the size of the fish always. I have a 20lb pike on my wall that I never would of mounted if I wouldn't have caught it on 4lb test crappie fishing out of the boat.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anything I would up the standards. Seems easier to catch a hog during ice season (particularly super late ice before the spawn) than during soft-water for me.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same standards, and I agree with MM that you have a better chance of catching big fish through the ice. My biggest Perch, Walleye, Pike & Crappie have all come through the ice!

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same standards, and I agree with MM that you have a better chance of catching big fish through the ice. My biggest Perch, Walleye, Pike & Crappie have all come through the ice!

Now that you mention it, all of my biggest fish have come through the ice. Maybe I should just give up on the long poles...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Agree'd, all my mounts are from the ice. I have only caught a few big eyes out of the boat, and none of them bigger than 28 1/2 inchers. Seems odd that the big girls come in through the ice more often.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I as well wouldn't lower my standards but I would probably be more likely to get a few jumbo perch caught through the ice mounted then I would the same fish in July. Not sure why probably because they are a winter fish in my mind. Plus they just look better in January laying on the snow.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bleeding them out cant hurt. I just make sure to not let the meat touch any slime.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once tossed all my eyes into a 5 gallon bucket, they became one giant walleye popsicle the next day when I went to clean them I poured hot water into the pail, they were so slimed up I was gaging whilst cleaning them. Was one gross snotty mess, that I learned not to do again. As I type this tale I am getting that queasy feeling again

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once tossed all my eyes into a 5 gallon bucket, they became one giant walleye popsicle the next day when I went to clean them I poured hot water into the pail, they were so slimed up I was gaging whilst cleaning them. Was one gross snotty mess, that I learned not to do again. As I type this tale I am getting that queasy feeling again

I'm guessing ice cold Busch Light played a role in this next day cleaning attempt.:;:huh

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lower my standards for women in the winter. Go for the bigger girls in the winter to keep me warm. And in the summer go for the ones with the nice bodies to stare at. :;:thumbsup

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lower my standards for women in the winter. Go for the bigger girls in the winter to keep me warm. And in the summer go for the ones with the nice bodies to stare at. :;:thumbsup

Makes sense. I imagine it being dark longer helps as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

but what do you do about the smell?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67