Looking for some safe ice, anyone headed out this weekend?

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the added snow and the late ice, does anyone have any advice on a safer body of water where there is a decent fishery within an hour and a half drive from West Fargo that my son and I could fish this weekend? Thanks! Obviously it would be a walk on location right now.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hoping to get out too. This snow isn't going to help much. I've heard of a few smaller lakes in the DL area in MN that were being fished.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go online Google search ndgf public fishing waters, it's a pdf file that you can download. This file has every lake that was gill net surveyed. The pdf ndgfpfw has links to be able to download maps of some of the lakes. Then you can download the fish stocking reports pdf and cross reference bodies of water to find the best places to start at. Good luck and let us know how you did, of course not telling anyone your good spots unless you would like to pm me. Lol

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it wasn't such a busy weekend --- I would say ping me and head out with you. I would think the valley city area should be good -- providing no waterfowl messed them up. I am going to let it get below zero and hit it after xmas

- - - Updated - - -

--PS Lakewood ramp is still open water on devils.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it wasn't such a busy weekend --- I would say ping me and head out with you. I would think the valley city area should be good -- providing no waterfowl messed them up. I am going to let it get below zero and hit it after xmas

- - - Updated - - -

--PS Lakewood ramp is still open water on devils.
Hobart? :;:stirthepot

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunker --- watch out --the time is coming soon ----- I am coming up to the refuge to fish out yours and ahabs hot spots.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:muahaha oh it's on like donkey Kong, make sure you bring 1 gallon freezer bags for those pig eyes.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
All right, just to set it straight...I'm not looking for anyone's spot, in fact I'll go away from the crowds even if they are catching fish. Just dont want to be sent to a slough that doesn't have any fish!! In the past years I have been to many of the lakes in the VC area...even HOBART! :;:thumbsup...that pot has been stirred! Wont be worth a crap for at least another 3-4 years.....

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once caught 5 species of game fish in one ice fishing outing on Little Detroit Lake. That was fun.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been making ice the last couple days albeit not very fast. With the low high temp today and the nights shaping up pretty well we should put on the real ice between now and sat morning. Won't be as much as it would have been without the snow but over all this should be the start of the main ice season. I will be real curious to see if anyone is dumb enough to drive on this weekend.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not going on any ice. You could see the slushy snow on the ice this morning. It's about 6-8ft wide bands and goes from one side to the other on almost any slough/lake around Gackle. Some open water around here yet. One is a large area you could drive a boat around in it yet.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I drove west of
Gackle
Yesterday and saw 3 sloughs with a significant amount of open water. Would have never believed it
If. I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I drove west of
Gackle
Yesterday and saw 3 sloughs with a significant amount of open water. Would have never believed it
If. I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes

I also seen this same thing. Very unusual given the temps we have been having these last few days. Makes me a little leary of going out.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to remember that most sloughs are shallow, and the water heats up quicker on those. Most lakes have deeper water and therefore don't loose ice as fast (water stays colder). Snow has a lot of effect on ice also, heavy snow will weigh down thinner ice and push water up through the ice, plus snow acts like a layer of insulation and keeps the colder temps away from the ice. Here around Minot when it was warmer temps awhile back we really didn't loose ice it just got a little soft and became a crappy layer on the water. I'm going fishing Sunday and will still be careful, as I always consider ice unsafe no mater what the thickness is.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77