Ground and formed sausage idea??

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently made a batch of the ground and formed bacon. Where you mix the seasonings with the ground meat then put into a pan to form a 2inch high meat loaf basically, then smoke the loaf until temp is 142, then slice so you are left with strips of bacon.
So I got to thinking instead of making a bunch of patties for breakfast sausage or any type of sausage that you didn't want stuffed for ring style sausage. Could a guy use basically the same process that you do to make the bacon with a breakfast style sausage seasoning and just make "bacon" style strips of breakfast sausage?
I think I may try this sometime this winter. Has any every done this before or can you thing of any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea?

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a little confused. Did u smoke the bacon just to get the smoke flavor on it? Or did u smoke the bacon to get the flavor plus cook it all the way through?
are you planning on "cooking" your sausage in the smoke house?
The part that's confusing me is the 142 degrees your talking about

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make venison bacon. It is fully cooked in the smoker.

Yes it would work for any flavor. Not sure why u would do that tho?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess smoking to a temp of 142 would set the meat up so u are able to slice it. Then finish cooking when u pan fry it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would just drink some whiskey and raise hell with it.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a little confused. Did u smoke the bacon just to get the smoke flavor on it? Or did u smoke the bacon to get the flavor plus cook it all the way through?
are you planning on "cooking" your sausage in the smoke house?
The part that's confusing me is the 142 degrees your talking about

I have bought the seasoning from owensbbq the last couple years and that is what the directions say to do, Smoke it for the smoke flavor and then it needs to get above 140 degrees to be safe I am guessing is the reason for 142. http://www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html the directions for the ground and fromed bacon are here.

- - - Updated - - -

I make venison bacon. It is fully cooked in the smoker.

Yes it would work for any flavor. Not sure why u would do that tho?

The vension bacon at 142 is not fully cooked needs to fried or grilled. This is per the directions from owensbbq, I know the curlys season cooks it fully though.
My thinking on doing breakfast sausage this way is it would get some smoke flavor and I think it would be easier than hand making a bunch of patties, I suppose I could just get a burger press maker too;)

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would just drink some whiskey and raise hell with it.

The Scots perfected this technique and perhaps this is why they ended up in kilts.

You could make some sausage this way, and cook like your bacon. Slice and freeze and you have patties that can be nuked and used for a quick breakfast sammie. I would still want some uncooked so your are not limited in what you could make.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't tried it yet, but have a customer that stuffs the Ground & Formed Bacon into a 61mm (2 3/8") x 24" summer sausage casing and then after it has been smoked, then slices for thin patties to be later fried. This works for a nice size to put on a English muffin with egg and cheese for a breakfast sandwich. HHhhmmm... or a BLT on a small hamburger bun!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps the best hunting snack ever conceived. I've known and done this which is another reason I need an extra long kilt:

Use Rachael Ray's boiled egg technique: Eggs in COLD water over high heat for 10min, remove from heat, cover and let rest for 10min. Cool under tap and peel. That's it. Perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXY8l9cokk

- - - Updated - - -

th

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105