Ice/Snow - late season - dog's feet

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For ice balling and discomfort - solutions are Musher's Secret, Crisco, boots ranging from expensive to "disposables".

please share what works for you late season!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try keep their hair cut between the pads and toes. Helps a lot. Some dogs aren't real keen on letting you cut hair around feet though.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That dang snow is tough on footsies. The dog though would rather have his feet bleeding than sitting at home napping and dreaming of flushing roosters and the smell of gun powder.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use to put Bag Balm on Syd's pads. One lick was enough for her to cut the shi'ite. Won't say it was a miracle but it helped.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI: Musher's secret is Royce approved! Thumbs Up

Zero icing today. Great stuff. I estimate a buck or two per outing max out of pocket.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
trim hair and clean feet as needed. certain crusted snow can tear feet up put boots on or stay home.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never heard of Musher's Secret until this thread. I do know, I applied Bag Balm to Syd's pads after I discovered they burned off when she came back in after the evening "potty". I felt like a real shitheel. I was thankful I had a tin for my cracked hands. She only tried to lick it off once and apparently didn't enjoy the taste (she recoiled adamantly--it was almost amusing).

Her pads returned to normal relatively quickly and I continued to use it for protection. While the pads were healing, she got a "good" slather before I let her out then a cleaning with a paper towel when she came back in. It seemed to absorb easily and there was never any evidence of carpet staining. I sure as hell would have heard about it. After a couple weeks, her pads seemed to toughen but were supple. We'd just do a bit and rub it in. By the end of winter her pads and my hands seemed to acclimate and no longer an issue.

If she hunted, she'd be pissed at River for a bit but damn well learn to walk with the boots.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76