New Johns Ice

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any body know or have info on ice conditions at New Johns/Heckers?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know but I can pick my father in law's brain. He's been fishing the last couple days.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drilled some holes up there two days ago and there was a good eight inches of ice. Thats being conservative could have been more. Wasn't quite enough to drive on. Was good clear ice though.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just watch out on the main lake of new johns it was open a couple weeks longer then the other three. From the boat ramp west and the last quarter mile on the east end went down early but the rest didn't lock up till thanksgiving weekend and be real careful a couple hundred yards west of the big island because the coots and geese kept a hole open there for atleast another week.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just watch out on the main lake of new johns it was open a couple weeks longer then the other three. From the boat ramp west and the last quarter mile on the east end went down early but the rest didn't lock up till thanksgiving weekend and be real careful a couple hundred yards west of the big island because the coots and geese kept a hole open there for atleast another week.
I can second that Dean. I saw the geese sitting there 3 weeks ago. Still doesn't look safe in that area. I was out there last weekend and there are a couple bad looking spots on that lake.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the east end is made up of the slush ice so I'm sure it's a bit thicker but still would have me on my guard. All in all the lake should be fine but definitely one to keep extra close I too....mind you at this point that pretty much holds true for most all the ice on all the lakes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76