90 Year Old Man, E2 elk cow tag, Semi-Live Blog

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have written about my grandpa several times on the other site. He's 90 now, gets around with a cane but overall doing really good. A man that once told me that women are like cow shit, they get easier to pick up as they get older (I was like 9 or 10). He has no filter and has never met a dirty joke he didn't like. God I love him.

Anyway, a few years ago me and a buddy drew E2 elk tags and we did very well. Him killing a nice bull with his bow, and me a nice cow with my rifle later in the season. Well, grandpa got a little jealous, curious to know how we did. He wanted in on the fun. At first, I kind of tried to talk him out of the idea of applying. "Grandpa", I say, "you're not getting along very well anymore". He tells me has his permit to shoot from the truck. I tell him "elk don't hang out where trucks can go", but once he gets an idea in his head, there is no changing his mind, so I tell him how to apply to up his chances of getting drawn. And I'll be damned if he didn't draw an E2 cow tag. The man I once saw sharpen his hunting knife with a bench grinder. The man who plants an entire acre of potatoes every spring just for personal and family use.

Alright, so here we go. I know the area, I know the landowners to talk to but I also know I won't have time to take him with my work schedule so I school up my dad and uncles on what to do and they get him out there this last weekend.

And wouldn't you know it, they found some elk yesterday and were able to get gramps into range....where he promptly missed. But the game is on now. He's got the smell of blood in his nostrils. Him, dad and an uncle are gonna be back out there tomorrow to give it another go. I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out. Stay tuned.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the pleasure of knowing a couple of old guys that sound a lot like your grandpa.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck hopefully he is able to connect, fresh elk steaks for Christmas eve dinner sounds good.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I hope he gets one. That would be awesome for the old fart.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is awesome, if I could help you out I would!!! I hope he fills his tag. Please post a pic when he bags one!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I'd love to hear a happy ending to this story and either way we will. Even if he doesn't get an Elk this hunt will be a success.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big herd spotted. Waiting, watching, hoping to maneuver for a shot. The suspense is killing me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
excellent. Iffn I live to be that old, I am guessing I will still do a little hunting.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
excellent. Iffn I live to be that old, I am guessing I will still do a little hunting.

Yep hopefully I am able to hunt/fish till the day I keel over, and once you get that old the laws and rules just become guidelines anyways.:D

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well ladies and gents, it wasn't meant to be. A whole family effort was put in, but we couldn't close the deal and none of us have any more time to go. Grandpa is very pleased with the experience but obviously a little disappointed which is understandable. Not one to give up easily, he did ask me about Montana and Wyoming general tags....and here we go again...

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for posting! makes a person recalibrate to what's important, glad your gramps had a fun experience

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
To bad he wasn't able to get one bet it is an experience u guys will never forget.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well Crap!! I was hoping to see a pic on this deal. Well you can't say you didn't give it he ole college try. Sounds like a whole bag full of memories were made. He can't be upset with not getting an elk. You mentioned that he got a shot at one, but it didn't connect. Success in my book. Lots of guys don't even get a shot. Hope you guys took a group pic of all the family that were involved. That would be great to have down the road a piece!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75