Mountain Lion Lottery?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeb Williams says maybe a lottery system should be considered. Sounds like there's a handful of people with dogs who consistently fill the lion quota in late season. As much as I'd like to bag a lion, I don't think I like the idea of a lottery. If I want a lion that bad maybe I should just train some dogs and get my ass out west like the other guys who are successful. Hard to say the system is unfair just because other people are willing to take the time and money to be successful year after year.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I with you slim. If i wanted a cat bad enough, I'd do what would have to be done to get one. If hounds are the best way, anyone wanting a lion would put up with raising dogs all year round for this purpose. Sounds like some people are mad they can't get one and want it to be obama-cized. Jeb isn't speaking for himself here. Just the messenger.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Life isn't fair. Deal with it. Everyone has a chance to shoot a lion. You have months to do it. If I dedicated my whole season to killing a lion I probably still wouldn't get one killed without dogs.

like said before, if you want one that bad get dogs.

95% of cats killed without dogs are just luck anyways. Right place at the right time. Next time I draw a mule deer tag I hope I can shoot a lion if I get lucky enough to see one. Would suck to not get drawn in the lottery and see one bedded 100 yards away.

Keep it the way it is

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone is given the same opportunity. You don't need dogs to kill a lion. If you spend enough time in their environment, you're going to have an encounter sooner or later. A lottery system would likely result in less lion kills, thereby increasing the population, which would result in lower deer numbers....again!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No!! That isn't even something that guys joke about over too many adult beverages.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so if we're agreed that a lottery system for lions is a stupid idea, let's be sure to (politely) let GnF know. This way, they can axe the idea and say, "overwhelmingly, people from all over the state responded that they do not want a lion lottery" and the handful of whiners can pound sand.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should consider taking the left over quota from early season and adding on to late season. They have done the numbers so if all cats during both seasons are taken it should be okay with the populations. or even switch the numbers form early to late so more opportunities are available during late season. By the way the late season is filled after snow there appears to be no shortage of cats out there. I think a lottery for this will only increase the lion population with not as many taken and be a step backwards for the recovering deer population out west at this time.
dukgnfsn

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you read Jeb's comments?
It was mentioned in a story in the Fargo forum today. I didn't post a link because the Forum is a shitrag and I didn't want to generate more web hits for them. Unfortunately Fargo has no alternative for local news. I'm sure the same article will make its rounds and hit the tribune.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last part of the article in the Bismarck Tribune:

Public input

Tucker said it also may be time to spread out the opportunity.

“Maybe we need to look at a lottery and give out tags and then give them all season (until March 31) so there’s not that mad rush,” she said.
Her boss, Jeb Williams, chief of the department’s wildlife division, said he’ll hold three meetings around the state in February to talk about the mountain lion program.
Williams said he does hear that more people want the opportunity to kill a lion and that its value as a recreational sport is increasing.
“We want to make sure it’s equitable,” he said.
Right now, lion hunting is open to anyone with a fur bearer’s permit, provided the quota hasn’t been met.
Williams also suggested it could be time to introduce a lottery system, like it has all big game.
“We’ll look at that — a lottery system — to make sure everybody has a fair chance,” said Williams, explaining the department will wait until it gets public input before making any decisions.
“Right now, the lion numbers with our research are trending down. We’ve been fairly aggressive. It’ll all be part of the discussion we’ll have this winter,” he said.
Lee says no hunter in his group has ever taken more than one lion and he’d like to keep the quota and see an additional training period, so houndsmen could work their dogs and track and tree lions outside of hunting them.
“It’s not all about killing, it’s the memories and the exercise. I don’t like to see ‘em die; I’m not cold-hearted. There’s the thrill of the dogs and seeing the cats in a tree. They’re so majestic; so cool,” Lee said.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeb is a yes man and the NDgF doesnt want mountain lions killed.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like they would actually consider public input :;:muahaha Maybe just reserve lion tags for those that were unsuccessful in the deer lottery :;:huh

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only the NDGF would come up with this. they should be worrying about protecting our lakes from ANS and killing coyotes.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like they would actually consider public input :;:muahaha Maybe just reserve lion tags for those that were unsuccessful in the deer lottery :;:huh

hahaha!

To be fair, I seem to remember Steinwand accurately referring to the 'one-tag-per-year' idea as an "interesting social experiment" without any positive conservation impact, hence the reason they scrapped the idea. I think it will be the same with lions. They get a few whiners, consider alternatives, then politely tell the whiners they're going to leave it the way it is.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were any of the lions that were killed named Cecil? If so, I may need to pout and stamp my feet and organize a protest.:;:stirthepot

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hahaha!

To be fair, I seem to remember Steinwand accurately referring to the 'one-tag-per-year' idea as an "interesting social experiment" without any positive conservation impact, hence the reason they scrapped the idea. I think it will be the same with lions. They get a few whiners, consider alternatives, then politely tell the whiners they're going to leave it the way it is.
yea it's normal political lip service

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cecil is serious business.
Even hearing his name again makes me want to cry like Jimmy Kimmel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57