Complete novice to darkhouse spearfishing: tips, tricks?

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the gear and registered online with G&F. Have a lake with slough sharks picked out that's open, now what?

What kind of depths? Weedlines? What if waters a little murky? How active are you with the decoy? I've never gone ice fishing strictly for pike and didn't fish much this past fall on this body of water.

Not looking for something complete, just looking for pointers when I come back and read this. Thanks!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to do it shallow enough where you can see the bottom. Weed edges are perfect. Use the decoy just like you would a jig: try different things until you find out what works! It's not rocket surgery, but you'll get the hang of it. Sometimes just a decoy hanging there is enough to get something to come slithering in.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Form is key:
spear-fish-jump-708x400.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are serious about spearing, you might wanna drop the GF a note about their new 'proposed' regulations....

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
have the tines in the water when you throw...don't break the plane...it will greatly help with accuracy..and throwing is not quit accurate you should be dropping with force...

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you move your house and it has larger then a 10 inch hole you need to mark it so others are aware of a potential hazard. Good luck! Go get them sharks! Don't let go of your spear without a lanyard attached.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be quiet u will see alot more fish I've always like 6 to 8 feet deep. Decoy mover depends on activity of fish I like to put down 2 decoys and only jig one of them. I've noticed that if the fish are active they will chase the moving one if not. They will come in and bump the still one.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to do it shallow enough where you can see the bottom. Weed edges are perfect. Use the decoy just like you would a jig: try different things until you find out what works! It's not rocket surgery, but you'll get the hang of it. Sometimes just a decoy hanging there is enough to get something to come slithering in.

Duckslayer... what kind of surgery is performed on rockets?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
They want to dissallow the use of anything in the water to help see fish, AKA throwing some corn or egg shells on the bottom to give better contrast....

Technically couldn't they already bust people on the eggshell thing for littering? Other then the littering aspects why do they care we certainly don't have a lack of the damn things!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not sure, I guess I wouldnt have as much of a problem with it if they stated something like "anything used to increase visibility of fish in the water must be removed before leaving the lake" or something like that. But really, is putting a cup or two of corn in the water 'littering'? If they dont respond to the email I sent, Ill have to call and talk to someone I suppose, there should be a way to still allow people to see fish in murky water, without ruffling environmentalists feathers in the process. Im sure running a 2stroke motor on most lakes introduces way more pollution into the water than a bit of corn or eggshells would....

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to mention the 8 gerjillion pounds of nitrogen that runsoff the fields turning the lakes neon green in July. Ah hell just get some white fish tank rocks and if the Warden asks just play dumb and say that was there when I cut the hole what do you mean that's not normal!:;:muahaha

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
stick a tine into the ice below the surface of the water while you wait. breaking the plane of the water often scares them. Lower spear as close to pike as possible before releasing. Ive heard lots of strategies for jigging the decoy, I usually give mine a couple revolutions every 20 min or so. If u frighten a fish wait quietly and dont move decoy, they often come right back. bring plenty of beer and peanuts

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe (IMHO) they are concerned with chumming and if this is the case it's BS as are all chumming regs. More baitfish don't necessarily equate with more caught fish. In fact IMHE, it can be a detriment. Doesn't matter either way. You can only keep/kill a limited number of fish. Same deal with plugged shotguns and fly fishing only areas. Eff that shi'ite. For those not in the "know" plugged repeaters were the result of dbl gunners wetting their panties about over harvest. It's not like we're slaughtering yarded deer, stampeding bison over cliffs or netting a gd lake. It's no secret I love dbls and I find fly casting beautiful. I also support ethics and freedom.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to not miss the fish or you wont get it.

shep07

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year was my first time spearing had never done it before but went all out and bought a bunch of decoys and a spear it turned out to be a blast. I watched a lot of youtube videos and learned a lot from them. Don't be scared to try different things more aggressive jigging of the decoy seamed to have better success for me but you have to change depending on what mood the fish are in. I would change out my decoy to a different color every 20 minutes if i wasn't seeing anything. Some decoys have adjustable metal fins on the tails so you can change the direction the decoy swims and how big of a circle it will travel. You can hang your decoy at a lot of different heights off of the bottom just make sure you aren't hitting bottom cause you will stir up the mud and make the water cloudy. Biggest thing is don't get discouraged and always be willing to try something different. Good luck

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever have catch perch or eyes with a regular rod if a school comes through well you were looking for pike?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive brought fish in with a large chubby darter, problem is they come in so fast and hit it that I havent gotten a chance to spear any of them! The orange/white seems to work well....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62