Devil Lake, Irvine ice conditions?

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the word on the lakes out their? Any locals on here that could keep us all posted? The reports from the guides and bait shops are almost nonexistent. I'm looking for ice thickness, snow depth, and how easy it is to get around. I live over an hour away and it's sure nice to know what your up against before you head out. I have an empty cooler that needs to filled with pike in the next week or two. My old cooler could hold 21 but not 22 Irvine sized pike. I need to do some field testing on my Yeti to see how it compares capacity wise.:D If anyone has any clarity report in regards to spearing on the lakes in the Devils region that would be much appreciated.
Thanks and Merry Christmas guys.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't been out, but a good friend was out yesterday and struggled getting around in his ATV. Ice was 3-9 inches and lots of slush pockets.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I just talked to my brother in law. 8" of ice or so, and 4-6" of snow. he said it is not great ice. They are driving atv's on, but not vehicles. And he wont pull his permanent out there yet.

Side note on Alice. From what I hear, currently, guides cannot guide on it, but they might be allowed to do so in February, unless the public steps up and lets them know it is not wanted.

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured about 10" of ice today on Irvine. Slush pockets get ur attention when u hit them with ATV.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
That statement alone oughta get you all kinds of helpful information.
Ha, Gotta admit that's exactly why I put it in. People get very helpful when you mention pike limits. ;) It is true however if you take a bunch of friends out for a party, flag chasing is much more social then for a big group then each jigging his own hole

- - - Updated - - -

Did anybody check water clarity on Irvine?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes since Lake Alice is a WMA it is controlled by the federal government. Guides are not allowed to fish without a special permit issued by the federal government. V where did you here about the guides and Lake Alice?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
WMA are state controlled and guiding is banned. But I thought Alice was a NWR which would be federal.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Yes since Lake Alice is a WMA it is controlled by the federal government. Guides are not allowed to fish without a special permit issued by the federal government. V where did you here about the guides and Lake Alice?

From my brother in law.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my brother in law.

Oh I noticed that after I posted, I hope not it would be like the sconis taking advantage of a pristine fishery. Would you let us know where he heard this any who we need to talk to about voicing out concerns.

Bobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
There will be a public comment period regarding guiding/commercial fishing on Lake Alice in the near future. This is conducted by the USFW . Contact Matt Springer for additional info at Devils Lake USFW . There are guides that have applied for a permit.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many guides are up there now days? Is there so many that it would be noticeable if they were let in? Deffently not opposed to keeping and area guide free just curious how crazy the number of guided groups is getting. I spose this new rule would allow Kyle to put his shacks out to rent out as well?

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really hope they do not open that area up to guides. Its kind of nice the way it is now, no permanent shacks allowed, just the recreational anglers. The guides have plenty of area to make their money on Devils Lake. Plus the woodland crew basically has free reign of Dry Lake anyway, I would think they'd be happy without having to move in on another part of the lake.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really hope they do not open that area up to guides. Its kind of nice the way it is now, no permanent shacks allowed, just the recreational anglers. The guides have plenty of area to make their money on Devils Lake. Plus the woodland crew basically has free reign of Dry Lake anyway, I would think they'd be happy without having to move in on another part of the lake.

:;:exactly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76